Monday, April 06, 2009

Werner's Oven

We had another company lunch again and this time, it was at Werner's Oven over at Upper East Coast Road. Growing up in the east, I know of Werner's Oven and have probably passed by it or had some of its baked goods when it was just a bakery opposite Parkway Parade. Then the next time I hear of it again, it was already at the Siglap area (I didn't know it was at Simpang Bedok before that). However, for its food, I have only been there once many years ago and that was only for brownie and it was not very good so I never went there again. Not even for its bread. We ordered lots of food to share. The pretzels, warm and soft with sprinkles of salt on it. This was so good. I would love some honey mustard to go with it, like how I used to have it in Canada.
The sugar flaky pastry in the pretzel shape was utterly delicious. Maybe I just have a sweet tooth :p

Hot cross buns which were not a daily offering on the menu. They were wonderful too.

Clam chowder with buttered roll. Nice and chockful of cubed potatoes and clams and carrots.

Mushroom soup with lots of mushroom slices in a creamy thick soup. Very good.

Oxtail soup - clear beefy broth with tender oxtail meat. I liked it. All the soups were made fresh on the premises.

Fried camembert with cranberries.

The gooey cheese oozing out. Very nice but definitely meant for sharing. The cranberries were a good contrast to the cheese.

Oxtail stew which was very good. The meat just fell off the bone. I had so much bread, just cos I liked the sauce.

Vegetarian pasta for our vegetarian colleague. It looked good. I didn't try it though.

Mashed potatoes which was awesome - rich and creamy. Sauerkrat which was great with the sausages.

2 different types of sausages which were nice. I couldn't really tell the difference :p

The sausage platter for 2 persons. More than enough for 4 meat eaters since we had so many other dishes to share.

The highlight - pork knuckle. Only remembered to take picture after we dug in. The pork knuckle was deep fried or grilled till crisp. The skin crackled and was so sinfully nice. The meat was not too dry though it did not melt off the bone. But it was still good.

Location:
Werner's Oven
6 Upper East Coast Road
Tel: 6442 3897

No comments: