Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sweets from Philippines - Ensaymada

SC has been raving about this bread she tried in Manila, Philippines when she traveled there on business. So on her last trip, she brought back two pieces of Ensaymada for me to try.

Ensaymada originates from Marjorca in Spain where it is called ensaïmada. It is a brioche made of lard, eggs, sugar, flour and cheese. In the Philippines version, it is made with butter instead and topped with various ingredients.

I got to try Ube (yam) and Chocolate ensaymadas and they were really yummy. Soft sweet bread topped with shredded cheese and the various toppings. I much prefer ube which is yam and reminded me of our "or nee" (yam paste). The chocolate version was so-so for the topping.

I wonder where we can find ensaymada in Singapore. It is really a nice snack for an afternoon pick-me-up or quick breakfast.
SC will be heading to Manila again and she will be bringing me more flavors to try. Her favorite is with salted egg topping. Can't wait for it :p

1 comment:

celest said...

haha.. i had this too! (from bro's trips to the philippines with his gf of course). he too said this is a typical "souvenir" tourists would buy home. freshly baked there and very popular. i tried the red bean + kaya ones... texture is denser than it looks, but i'm not a big fan, just average for me.

i don't think it's available here, just get your friends to buy more home for you next time ;)