Sunday, July 19, 2009

Shape Run 2009

Yes, I believe in torturing myself. I signed up for Shape Run 2009 on the 2nd day of registration and managed to get one of the coveted slots. It set a new record for itself as all 8000 spots were taken up within 48 hours after registration was opened.

At least this year the tee was fuchsia, much nicer than last year which was lime green. Not that it mattered much as I only wore the top for the run, so it would be a one-time affair.

We got there bright and early. Well, not so bright as it was still in the wee hours of 640am or so when we walked to the Shape Run 2009 area. The baggage deposit area with neat rows indicating the participants' race numbers. It was quite orderly and it took me less than 5 minutes to claim my bag after the run.

My running buddy and I. Though she usually left me after the start point since she ran and I brisk-walked or ran/jogged a little throughout the 5km.



The crowd waiting for the race to start. It was late this year and we could hardly hear anything at all. It was a strange location to have the event over at the Millenia Walk area where all the booths were scattered around the place.

The place for the 5km participants. We were quite behind this year and it proved to be a factor in the timing. Last year we were just behind the 10km participants and so finished faster.

Still waiting though the 10km participants had been flagged off. We moved up towards the front.


We were stuck at the traffic light for a while and now finally started walking again towards the start point. Finally we got to see the sign.

Still walking, you saw how people were just walking towards the start point. I realized it was because there was no point to start running before that as the energy would be wasted. The timing would only be counted on when you hit the start point and later after you hit the Finish line.

The organizers have decided to do a "net time" which would give runners their real timing. Time they hit the start line and time they finished. That would be printed on the certificate. So that means, my timing would be slightly better than the time I saw on the clock when I finished. This year it was worse as I completed in 55:55. The route seemed longer than last year when we ran around the Marina IR area and through Shenton Way.

There were so many U-turns in the run round the Kallang Basin and towards Golden Mile Complex and then to Concourse area before turning back and passed the Singapore Flyer. It was quite boring - just the road and concrete and trees. No historical buildings or sculptures to look at.

Plus there were so many "loopholes" that I saw 3 runners who did not did the entire run. 2 "aunties" or in their 50s or so just cut across to the other side before the halfway mark when they saw runners coming back from the 1st U-turn (still a distance away). They did it so blatantly and the 3 marshals on the other side never noticed at all since they were looking at the returning runners and not in our direction. The 2 aunties just joined the returning runners as if they have ran.

The 2nd incident was just before the water station. A runner in her 20s suddenly turned around and looked as if she was looking for someone or something and then just hopped over to the other lane where the returning runners were.

It was quite disgusting actually to know such participants existed, especially if they were competitive runners and managed to earn a top 3 spots. To me, participating in such runs, was to challenge myself. To push myself to my physical limit. I know I cannot run, but I can walk. It is a mass workout.

Anyway, at the end of the Run, it was madness. As usual, there was no proper signage or queue. You saw people lining up but you had no idea what they were queuing for. Luckily HZ had a colleagues who were running too, and they helped us to collect the Runner Kits.

This year I did not hang around to check out the booths - Kelloggs, Biore, Marigold yogurt and other more. So the only free things I got was the Runner Kit and the water and H2O plus a Finisher Bracelet from Nike.
I was hungry 10 minutes before I completed the run. Hahahaha. I did not have any breakfast or much drink before the event started. So after getting the kit, we went to Food Republic at Suntec as I totally forgot where Ya Kun was in the area. But there was ToastBox inside FR. So I got the badly needed iced coffee (so good it woke me up) and Boluo Yao.

I was still hungry and bought this fried beehoon set which included a chicken wing and egg, I added some ikan bilis/peanuts. Not too bad.

I guess having the run in the Marina area meant the malls in the surroundings would benefit from the 8000 runners plus their supporters in the morning sales.

6 comments:

celest said...

congrats on completing the run! no matter what it is, it's just great to complete the whole course, great achievement! :)

those "cheaters" are just not sporting at all.

stardust979 said...

well done :) glad you finished it proper!

Aggieb said...

I love that tee! I would have signed up just for that!

Aunti ă‚”ăƒ–ăƒȘナ said...

so thankful you took loads of pictures.. now I have something to look at ..

carolyn said...

Thank you, girls :)

carolyn said...

aggieb: you may like the bag too ;p black with fuchsia trimming.