Friday, July 31, 2009

Thai Dinner Buffet @ Ritz Carlton Greenhouse

This was the last buffet for the month of July. Ritz Carlton had a visiting Thai chef, so the buffet line-up at Greenhouse was Thai themed. Fresh oysters were so yummy. A bit of Thai salad which was ok. The scallops, clam and mussel were equally fresh and nice. There were no sashimi or sushi at all. Most of the dishes were Thai dishes, including the desserts.
One of the soups - chicken in coconut milk curry. It was creamy and felt a bit too salty after a few spoonfuls.

Thai pie tie and shrimp otah which needed to be shared as it was very rich. The 3 types of rolls - yam, shrimp and veggie. They were not bad though a bit too much for me to finish all. I loved the grilled meat though. Very tender and robust beef and chicken. So tasty.


The curries and others. I only like the green curry chicken with its flavorful gravy. The beef red curry was average. The stewed pork belly thing was also average and the red fish thing was strange. I had no idea what it was meant to be. The gravy was thin and plain.



I had white rice to go with the green curry chicken. The pad thai was a disappointment as I could taste ketchup in it. The last time I tasted ketchup in pad thai was at the awful Thai restaurant in Vancouver and apparently that was the way pad thai was served in Hong Kong. The kang kong was super spicy that I did not finish it. The scallops were good and spicy too, but not overkill. The pandan chicken and fish were not great at all. So I left them virtually untouched.


Another soup - seaweed with meat balls and tofu. Not too bad as it was clear and cleared the palate a bit.

Decided to try my luck with the other dishes. The pineapple rice was too mushy and sweet for my liking. Again the scallops which I liked. The grilled prawns were nice. I didn't care for the stuffed crab or lemongrass chicken and fishcake. The mushrooms were good.

After the not so nice mains which were more duds than raves for me, it was time for desserts. Unfortunately half the desserts were Thai desserts which did not interest me at all. There were only 2 plates of Western types of desserts at all times, which were changed once they were finished. I had the lemon tart first, then found out the tiramisu and creme brulee would be coming out soon. So I literally hung around the dessert table to wait. But before I found out, I also took the strawberries and some chocolate pieces.

The creme brulee was nice and the tiramisu was good. The tart was very sour and the strawberries were super sour too, like super lemon. In the end I only had the chocolate almond cluster.

The ice cream which I took before the creme brulee and tiramisu came out. The maple walnut ice cream was to die for and the chocolate chip ice cream was always good.

Overall, I was very disappointed with the Thai dishes being served at the dinner buffet. I like Thai food but those which were available were not that fantastic. So I think I would prefer their regular selection with the butter chicken, crabs (there were crabs but cooked Thai style and did not look appetizing to me so I did not bother taking any), sashimi, sushi and the fresh seafood, bread and mushroom soup and the mouth-watering desserts.

No comments: