Friday, February 26, 2010

Breakfast at Spruce

I was back at Spruce for breakfast over the weekend and it was already crowded at 11am, with many tables being reserved.

One thing I don't really fancy about Spruce is the service/attitude of the staff. They are just not very friendly at all. The food is decent, view is the norm (green grass and trees are about the same everywhere to me), price is quite typical of other such places, location is not that convenient. The washroom is pretty run down now, with dead or withered flowers still in the vase inside the bathroom cubicle and broken locks still attached.

I ordered the Spruce Brekkie and half the time, I was wishing I was at Hediard having the XL Breakfast. It did not come with butter or jam at all. I had to request for them. The sausage was good. The bacon was ok, then again I preferred a crispy bacon. The toast was actually buttered so that probably explained why they did not bring out the butter. I asked for over-easy eggs and they were done not too shabby.

I went to Spruce again because another friend has not been there and thought it would be good for her to try. I doubt I will be back again in a hurry. One thing I don't like is the fact that they do not provide bag stand/chair. If they are trying to compete for market share, they should think of how they can make it a better dining experience for their customers.

Do remember to make reservations as it is always packed on weekends. I have seen how the "door bitch" spoke to other customers who went without reservations. It was not very nice at all. Even with reservations, she still looked at you like you lied about having a reservation. Seriously, the mood is already spoiled when you encountered such service staff who made you feel like a pariah instead of a welcomed guest.

No comments: