Sunday, February 21, 2010

Flying Chilies, 313@Somerset

I happened to be at 313@Somerset shortly after it opened and the place was packed on a weekday evening. Exploring on my own, I chanced upon Flying Chilies on Level 1 (across from Marche) and decided to have dinner there.

Once inside, I realized it is under the same management as Thai Accent over at VivoCity. The menu is similar with familiar dishes. So I ordered what I liked when at Thai Accent ~ Basil Chicken Rice and Tom Yam Soup.

The soup was deceptively clear as it packed a punch. Tangy and fiery spicy, it was the thing to perk up a person. It was filled with prawns and mushrooms.
Some days I just love to have an over-easy egg where the yolk is still slightly runny so that it will burst in the mouth and coat the tongue with the yolky gooey-ness. The basil chicken rice dish was not that fantastic as there was just too much garlic.
The huge chopped pieces of the garlic which I managed to pick out and leave to the side after I realized I was chomping more on the garlic than the chicken. I just don't recall there being so much big pieces of garlic for this dish at all.

The best basil chicken I ever had was still the one from a side street eatery in Bangkok. That was simply delish and lipsmacking good.

No comments: