Saturday, February 06, 2010

Steeples Deli, Tanglin Shopping Centre

Steeples Deli, tucked away in a corner on Level 2 of Tanglin Shopping Centre, has been around for years. Its unassuming decor with the faux bricks and menu chalkboards and a long counter was reminiscent of a sandwich place in North America.

It is a place you go and order a sandwich to go or eat in its premises. However, speed is not a priority at Steeples, so this is not a place to grab a quick bite. Avoid this place if you are in a hurry as you can wait for 20-30mins (during peak period) or 10-15 mins (during non-peak) for your order.

They serve sandwiches, burgers, fish and chips, milkshakes, cakes and other beverages.

I wanted the pastrami sandwich but it was already sold out when I got there around 1.30pm (it was also sold out the 2nd time I was there at 2pm), so I settled for a roast beef on rye sandwich. It was really a very average sandwich with fresh veggies and cold coleslaw on the side. I felt it was the typical sandwiches you had back in the 80s or so when the other current sandwich places such as Toast and Cedele were not yet in existence.

Another rave I heard from others was the milkshake. I ordered the chocolate milkshake and it was of the thick shake variety. At $5.90, it came in a huge tall glass like those of the 80s. Very old-school and charming. They were generous with the scoops of ice cream to make the shake and was pretty decent. I do love the way the cakes were displayed behind the glass counter.

It is a nice place to pop into for a spot of lunch when you are tired of the cookie-cutter cafes serving similar things in almost identical settings. This seemed to be a small family run place with a small and homely feel to it.

Just be warned that peak lunch period is very crowded and ventilation is not its strong suit. I had to go outside and wait when they were preparing my burger (on my 2nd visit) as the grease and smoke just got to me.

No comments: