Sunday, February 07, 2010

Chili's Bar and Grill, Tanglin Mall

This was my first visit to Chili's last year when it finally opened in Singapore again. I missed its first presence in Singapore as I was either not living in Singapore then or just never stepped into it. The place was bustling with people and was just full of life, pretty much like its decor. Nothing streamlined or cold or clinical about it at all. No quiet ambience where you can hear a pin drop. This is a casual, loud joint where families and groups of friends can have a good and hearty meal.
We were starving and ordered the Bottomless Tostada Chips. This was huge and we just could not finish it at all. It came warm and crispy with the tangy house-made salsa. Pretty good, but skip it unless you are in a big group.

M ordered the vegetarian burger which was really big. It came with a side of fries which were the usual. He said it was good and very filling.

Another dish ordered was the margarita grilled chicken. The chicken breast was very tender and subtly flavored with the margarita sauce. I loved the rice and black beans with pico de gallo. An option to have if you want to feel you are eating healthily.

I ordered the country fried chicken as I just could not resist the corn on cob and mashed potatoes. The last time I had a country fried chicken was at the IHOP in Canada.
The battered chicken breast was a bit too salty for me though I loved the humongous mashed potatoes. I did not expect the corn on cob to be an entire corn too. That was a very sweet surprise and should be the way, not the miserable 1/3 corn cob you usually get at other places. Even if I could not finish the food on the plate, just the way it was served (the way it should be) made me happy enough to want to keep going back.

We shared the chocolate brownie sundae which was not too bad. Good thing we shared.

Another factor I liked about Chili's is the bottomless beverages where you can get free refills of tea, coffee, sodas and flavored teas.

Lesson learnt from this is to share the mains with friends as the portions are the typical American size or you can always doggy-bag the leftovers. I am not sure if it is done at Singapore Chili's, but in Canada/USA, it is very common to "ta pao" the food which you cannot finish. Waste not, want not :)

2 comments:

stardust979 said...

Oh I ate at Chili's based on your recommendation, not bad! :) The bottomless drinks were good as it was hot day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks very much for your interesting blog. It's always nice to see how people on the other side of the globe live, how they share the same joys and sorrows, what they do in their free time, etc.

I actually have a question about your blog. Would you mind helping us with a linguistic research project? We're compiling data from various Singaporean weblogs. All it requires is checking a few boxes. If you want to take part and/or have more questions, drop me a note ( hack2301@uni-trier.de RE: Question ) so that I can then send you the 'official' project eMail. We'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks very much in advance!
Best regards,
- Fran