Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Atrium - Pan Pacific Singapore

The Atrium Cabanas

I have not gone to the Pan Pacific Hotel in Singapore for years. The last time I stepped foot into there was for a previous company Appreciation Lunch to business partners back in 2003. The impression I had of the place was dark and dull, not inviting at all. Plus I heard from friends that the band was really loud and those staying on the lower floors would not get a good sleep due to the noise.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the place has changed drastically when I met my client for a meeting there a few months back. We were organizing an event for the client at the location. It has been spruced up and looks much brighter and airier. Chrome and glass were the theme for the function rooms. It was certainly much more conducive than before. I like the lobby area - The Atrium. There is a main bar right in the center, with private cabanas for more privacy at the side. Really cozy.

Davis and I decided to plonk ourselves there the other night after dinner at Glutton Bay as we were contemplating either to have a drink or dessert. We took a table near the bar. The armchairs were large and very comfy. It also serves tapas the entire day until 9pm and has almost 300 varieties of beverages.


I had the bellini (champagne and peach liquor) - a sparkling, bubbly drink which is not too sweet. Not exactly my favorite as I prefer a sweeter version :p But I like the look of it. The tall glass with a cherry in the fizzy drink.

The service was good. They cleared the ashtray constantly and would also refill the complimentary snack tray. That was a surprise. Instead of the usual nuts and crackers, they served dried mushrooms (I love this!), Japanese ikan bilis (dried seasoned anchovies) and almonds (unsalted). Davis had some fruity cocktails (non alcoholic) which were pretty nice too. We also shared a pot of camomile tea at the end. The presentation was nice. The saucer was huge enough to place the honey and a piece of cookie too.

With such relaxing ambience and excellent service, we stayed there for close to 3 hours, just yakking away till after midnight. There was also a lounge singer, accompanied by a pianist. Hmmm...I didn't care much for that :p

No comments: