Thursday, September 28, 2006

Mooncakes: Part II


I finally got my box of assorted mooncakes from Raffles the Plaza through an "angel" :) She became the "courier lady" for the day. Thanks *muacks* Look at the box, it is designed in the image of a cheongsum top, with the embroidered buttons.

There are 4 different flavors (2 each) of the mini snowskin mooncakes. I am not a big fan of the traditional mooncakes but I do adore snowskin versions as I find them to be "lighter". Maybe it is also that I am not big on the pastry crust, another reason why I never fancy the "pig" pastry.

I like the smooth chewy snowskin texture and since it is usually kept cold, it tastes even better. Refreshing and a nice contrast with a cup of hot tea.

The 4 flavors in the box are Rum & Raisin Chocolate Truffle, Champagne Truffle & Ganache, Baileys and Crunchy Chocolate Pearl Mooncakes. Don't they sound yummy?


Of the 4, my favorite is actually Baileys mooncake. It has a hint of alcohol in it. The Crunchy Chocolate Pearl Mooncake is nice too, more because of the crunchiness. It gives an interesting texture to the smoothness of the lotus paste. Surprisingly I am not that partial to Rum & Raisin Chocolate Truffle. While it also has a hint of alcohol to it and bits of raisins (2 to be precise) inside the chocolate truffle shell, the chocolate taste is just not there. Champagne truffle and Ganache is the perennial favorite for most, bringing alcohol and chocolate together.

No comments: