Saturday, September 02, 2006

Set Lunch at Coffee Club

I decided to have a lazy Saturday lunch-brunch after body balance class at California Fitness. Quite a bad idea to have a workout before having a proper meal. Needless to say, I was feeling peckish after leaving the gym.

Coffee Club outside California Fitness in Orchard is a nice place for an outdoor bistro-cafe setting, watching the world pass you by with the endless traffic (both motor and pedestrian). Armed with a copy of Today papers, I settled in for a leisurely meal.


On the server's recommendation, I ordered the mushroom baked rice for my main. The polenta chicken looked good too and I had that as well to go with the rice. I guess I am still used to having veggies and meat with rice/noodles.


The baked rice was warm and fluffy, filled with bits of mushrooms. The cheese topping was the star, it gave more oomph to and otherwise bland dish. The polenta chicken had potential. The chicken pieces were lightly fried, but the polenta coating got a bit tiring after a few pieces. Definitely need to share the chicken, or maybe I am not that big on cornmeal after all.


The highlight of the meal was the dessert which came with the set meal. The berry compote was refreshing, the tartness contrasted nicely with the sweet mascarpone cream on the shortbread "crust", and the blueberries gave a bit of bite to the whole taste sensation. Surprisingly I like the shortbread, the buttery sweetness went very well with the cream and berry sherbet.

No comments: