Saturday, September 02, 2006

Kaya Fondue @ Glutton Bay


I have been wanting to try the kaya fondue at Glutton Bay ever since I saw the picture hanging on the facade of the stall. Somehow the finger-sized toast with a small bowl of kaya as a dip beckoned to my senses. Maybe I am a real kaya fan at heart.

Tonight I was at Glutton Bay with a friend and we shared the oyster omelette, wu xiang and the kaya fondue. Quite a departure from my usual fare of the oyster omelette and fried hokkien prawn noodles.

The oyster omelette is a perenial favorite and is consistently good. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, topped with juicy fresh oysters. The wu xiang was dismal in comparison. I had better from other places. It was also very oily. Artery-clogging alert!

Now the kaya fondue...Mmmmm....the bread was well toasted. It was lightly brushed with butter before being placed on the grill, hence giving a subtle buttery taste to it. The two pieces of toast were sliced into "fingers", making it easy to dip into the kaya (coconut egg jam with a hint of pandan flavor). The kaya was not overly sweet, nor was it infused with a rich pandan flavor to it. It was passable. I still prefer kaya toast from Killiney's. But for now, my curiosity is satisfied and I doubt I will be ordering it again.

The teh tarik which came with it was super sweet, making it a very one sweet meal.

Location:
2nd stall from the road (next to the drinks stall)
Glutton Bay, Esplanade

No comments: