Sunday, September 17, 2006

LifeSpa - Part II

I posted previously about my facial treatment sometime in June at LifeSpa. I wasn't too impressed with the facial treatment. I finally utilized the other session for massage last week. I didn't expect much. As usual I had to call twice at different times before I can finally get a slot. They are always full, so I had to make my appointment at least 2 weeks in advance (actually I told the person when was the first available appointment on a Saturday). Another con is that they are not opened on Sunday, and the last appointment on weeknights is at 730pm. Not very friendly to people who put in long hours.

Got to the spa on time and I wasn't left waiting for long, so that was good. I was led to the locker area to change into the disposable undies and robe. The robe is really tiny! I could barely cover myself, they should look into getting different sizes. I can't imagine a man wearing it (the spa is opened to men too). I would have prefer to change in the treatment room itself as the spa is not that big with a lounging area, and I don't see the need to wear a robe when just walking from the locker area to the treatment rooms.

I was shown to a tiny treatment room (all their rooms are small, but this is marginally bigger than the facial room), disrobed and laid face down on the bed. The therapist was very fast, she got to working the body immediately. No feeling of the body at all. BUT she was amazing! She knew intuitively which part of my body was aching (my back). She was firm with the pressure but not so hard that one would faint in pain. She also "cracked" my body, every single part of it. Much better than Thai massage in Thailand. And I could tell with the way she massaged that she knew the way the body functioned, with the meridien, etc. For a 45mins massage session, it sure didn't feel so short. So I was sold :p

Already I was mentally preparing myself for the "selling" of packages once I emerged from the changing room. The same consultant (from the other time) attended to me, and she actually remembered me. Kudos to her as I sure didn't remember her at all. So she was able to pick up on where she left off from before. Having been to so many spas before and encountered so many people trying to sell the packages, you do pick up some tricks.

For me I always like to be upfront about it. If I do not want to sign for it, I will tell them straight off. If I am interested, I will also tell them, but only if they can match my budget. It is also good to always be polite and friendly. You never know when you will see them again (case in point, my visit to Wellness Village at Pan Pacific where I got a special deal for knowing the consultant from another place).

Since I like the therapist very much, I told the consultant my budget. I do not need the 100 sessions for $3888. Too big a package for me since I still have packages at 3 other spas. At that time, I was already mentally prepared to pay $100 per month under a 12 month instalment plan, so she managed to work out a package for me based on that. And I can actually pay the $1200 on a 24 month instalment plan, but I decided to go with 12 month as I hate to owe money for too long. Later I found out my colleague also went there and signed for a $1000 package, so you can really "name your price" at some spas. But be realistic about it, they do need to make a living too.

The hesitation for signing the package still holds true, but the consultant advised to make appointment 1 week in advance. Alternatively call her and she will try to arrange something. I hope that works as now I only want the therapist to work on me, and I can be picky about that. Since she is the entire reason for me to sign up for the package.

They are opening another branch at Purvis Street in October. Maybe that will help ease the load but who knows.

No comments: