Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Darn! What a pity!

I just missed an opportunity for an interview for a PR position in Toronto. Why? Because I cannot speak or write fluent French I only know basic French. Sigh. Such is the reality for my type of position.

Public relations, marketing communications or communications position is usually sited in the HQ of corporations as the people need to be in touch with the CEOs or upper management. Most corporations' HQs are in Toronto, and Toronto needs or prefers people who can speak, write, read the official languages (English and French) fluently. I have no issues with that. It does make sense as you are communicating to people, you need that skill.

Plus, one thing that struck me when I was in Toronto was that almost everything was in both French and English. All the signages in the buildings, brochures, information-related stuff. So a person working there will need to know both languages in order to vet the materials before they are printed.

So I have decided. When/If I get a job in Vancouver, I will go pick up French again and be fluent in it. Then I will try for positions in Toronto since the HQs are mostly there.

On a positive note, at least the interviewer/recruiter thought much of my experience/resume to call me to find out if I realize the position is in Toronto and if I am fluent in French (even though my resume stated I only know basic French). That is something to be thankful about.

No comments: