Monday, November 19, 2007

Tim Hortons

Boston Creme donut and English Toffee Coffee

Tim Hortons, the place for coffee and donuts. It is a Canadian icon. Business wise, I believe it is now either owned by the Americans or back to Canada again. There have been so many changes to the business landscape in Canada.

It started off in Hamilton, Ontario in 1964, and in 1995, merged with Wendy's and thus started the expansion into America. In 2006, it completed an IPO and is now an independent company again.

But to Canadians, Tim Hortons is still a Canadian company and love by all for its great coffee and donuts. (Probably why the franchaisee for Krispy Kreme went bankrupt in Canada in just a few years - only left with 7 stores in Canada and run directly by the US HQ). Over the years, Tim Hortons offers more food choices and also serves sandwiches, bagels, soups, cakes, muffins, pies, etc.

Starting off in Oakville, Ontario, means that I got "brainwashed" into having Tim Hortons donuts/timbits and Second Cup coffee. These are more readily available in Ontario. Moving to BC means I hardly see Tim Hortons and Second Cup at all. Instead I saw more Starbucks in Vancouver than anything else.

But I remembered grabbing a maple cream donut at the Tim Hortons at Metrotown Save-On Food (a tiny outlet) almost every time I went grocery shopping. I didn't care much for the coffee. Even now I don't care much for it :p I discovered a new place for good coffee - Blenz - started in Vancouver :)

But now there are definitely more Tim Hortons than before in BC. Amazing. More Starbucks too. Vancouver is really a coffee drinking "capital". Another trivia - Starbucks owns Seattle Best Coffee too!

No comments: