Saturday, November 03, 2007

Papaya Hut - NOT Thai Food

Pad Thai (not authentic)
Tom Yum Goong

I rarely blog about "bad" food but sometimes it is needed to warn others. I know taste is subjective and this is just to inform others if they want to go for Thai food.
We wanted to go to Orchid Delight, which has moved over to Broadway/Burrard from Willingdon, as I wanted to see if the food is still as good as before. Orchid Delight was one of the better Singapore/Malaysian food when I was living here years ago. We used to go there for its Hainanese Chicken Rice, Mee Goreng and Char Kway Teow. I think my favorite dish there was the Mee Goreng which was spicy and full of seafood and came in a huge portion. Hence it was also the place we always "ta bao" from when we held club's activties up at SFU.

Other friends raved about the Ice Kachang, describing the smooth shaved ice as being so authentic. I was not a fan of it even in Singapore so it never bothered me if that was real or not. Apparently the owners (can't remember if they are Singaporeans or Malaysians) imported the ice shaver machine from Singapore to get the correct feel. It was just a normal family run restaurant, nothing fancy at all.
Anyway, Orchid Delight was closed on the Sunday afternoon (only opened for dinner on Sunday and closed on Monday but opened other days), so we hopped over to Papaya Hut which seemed not too bad. Plus it was crowded and lots of traffic for take-out, with a couple of newspapers clippings on its window.

Bad mistake. I guess I was expecting Thai Express standard of Thai food (and Thai Express is not that authentic Thai either in Singapore). I ordered Pad Thai and shared the Tom Yum Goong. The pad thai looked so wrong. It tasted like fried kway teow in ketchup - sweet instead of spicy. And I wanted Thai Express version of crushed peanuts, wedge of lime and chili flakes. JH said it is HK version of Thai Food, apparently the Thai Food in HK is like that too. The Tom Yum Goong was not too bad, at least it was not made of the tom yum instant noodles paste thing. Still it was bad for Thai food.
If you want authentic Thai Food, Papaya Hut is one place to avoid. It is run by Chinese from either China or HK. I am still searching for good Thai Food in Vancouver.
Location of Papaya Hut
2435 Burrard Street, Vancouver
Tel: 604-739-2033

No comments: