Friday, August 14, 2009

Flu / Sick

It happened so fast. Just a slight cough on Wednesday and it quickly escalated into flu the next day. Slight body aches and chills when I slept on Wednesday night.

Rested during the day on Thursday and I was still not well, despite the extra sleep and popping pills (paracetomol and something for sore throat) and taking honey water and gargling with salt water.

Off I went to see the doctor in the late afternoon where she told me I had a low grade fever. She gave me so much medicines - paracetomol, cough syrup, lozenges and something for the sore throat. I took those and went for my events. Dior new collection cocktail party launch and then meeting a friend for dinner and drinks.

I was feeling quite ok, just tired as the night progressed. Got home close to midnight, showered and in bed soon after. I was still feeling quite ok, no tender rawness of the throat. I could swallow, no cough, nothing.

But about an hour later, my body started to ache. So I popped more paracetomol. That was a bad mistake. Nausea soon surfaced and I managed to get to the bathroom just in time, to throw up into the basin and then the toilet bowl. Basically I was retching out my dinner (cod fish fillet, which a friend told me is oily food and not good for when I have the flu). Washed up, cleaned up, went back to bed and decided to take the cough syrup.

Again, it was a bad choice. Another round of puking. This time I could feel I was just throwing up the medicine and gastric juice. Then I took the lozenges to sooth the throat. It took about 1 hour for the lozenge to disappear and by then it was around 530am. No puke but I coughed out the phelgm.

The shivers and chills and body aches did not help at all. I could not find a comfortable position to sleep. Despite burrowing myself under the duvet, I was still shivering and I did not feel the air conditioner was cold either. By then, I was just too tired and hungry and ached too much to go find food.

Managed to doze off till 830am and forced myself to go downstairs and get a piece of bread so that I can take the paracetomol again. Had a couple of bites, all the medicine and went to sleep. It was much better, the aches were better controlled and I could finally sleep.

Woke up 10am and then to sleep again. Basically I spent Friday, dozing on and off. I would sleep for 1 hour plus before waking and then going back to sleep and the cycle repeated itself. Hope I will get back to normal self by tomorrow.

Going back to sleep now.

4 comments:

red fir said...

oh dear, do take care. Spend the weekend resting & drink plenty of fluids.

carolyn said...

Thanks :) The flu/fever has finally broken and I managed to get a decent night sleep. Now left with the residual cough/chest congestion.

You take care too. Lots of virus and bug going around now.

stardust979 said...

Do take care!!

carolyn said...

thanks :) still left with the persistant cough and stuffed nose. getting on to the road of recovery though.