Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Kelsey's ~ Canada

Doesn't this picture of a cheddar bacon sirloin burger just grab your attention? So thick and juicy that you can practically feel its juice running down your chin when you bite into it. Crispy bacon with melted cheese and fresh tomato slices with toasted bun and fries. It looks so appetizing.

I have only been to Kelsey's once. Long time ago on a dark cold night when I was in London, Canada. Yes, there is a London town/city in Canada which is more known for its students population (University of Western Ontario is there). Despite only one meal there, I have always remembered it as the pasta I had was just so good! Unfortunately there was no Kelsey's in Vancouver then (but there is one restaurant now in Richmond area) where I spent more years than in Toronto side.

After googling for White Spot, I decided to find out what has been happening with Kelsey's and this is the result. The new menu for Kelsey's with its beautifully taken pictures and really good food. I would think it is still good if I can still remember that chicken alfredo pasta dish I had so many moons ago.

Kelsey's is just a homely place for good basic food like burgers, steaks, pasta, soup, salad, etc. Typical of so many restaurants over in Canada. It is a regular place for families, friends, students. Not a high brow type of place at all.

The Lobster and Crab linguine with a light butter sauce with garlic, chili peppers, fresh lemon,
green onions and parsley.

Unfortunately I cannot find the chicken alfredo pasta from the menu but they do have the shrimp version with sautéed mushrooms, grilled red peppers, spinach and spices in their signature Alfredo sauce. Based on the pasta I had, the sauce was really very creamy and rich and so so good when you are in the mood for such richness. It was a very big portion and I had lots leftover. So it is wise to share or doggy bag it. It is common to doggy bag food in Canada since the portions are really very big.



See the thick slices of the grilled chicken breast. That was the kind of meat I had on my chicken alfredo, none of those skinny slivers of chicken meat which are served in the restaurants in Singapore. It is also common for pasta to be served with a piece of toasted garlic bread, again it is a huge piece. Basically everything is big in Canada/America :p


Even the salad looks so yummy with the grilled chicken, double smoked bacon, guacamole,
bruschetta tomatoes, Feta cheese and croutons in ranch dressing. Somehow this reminded me of Cobb Salad.

This is totally new. I hardly see spinach dip in restaurants, and this is four cheese. Wow! I love spinach dip, it goes so well with plain ritz crackers. Over at Kelsey's, it is served with toasted garlic naan.

And the French onion soup. It looks so good in the picture. It is onions slow roasted in white wine and smothered in a rich beef broth. Topped with Gruyere cheese and baked to a golden brown. I would love to try this.

The meat - flame grilled sirloin steak which looks so juicy and meaty. I am not really a steak person but this could entice me to order.

Another restaurant to check out if you are in Canada, especially in Toronto area. Kelsey's started from Mississaugua, Ontario, so there are many more outlets in Ontario side than in the West Coast.

2 comments:

stardust979 said...

The food here looks really good! I didn't know Canadian food was this good!

carolyn said...

I think the "western" food is Canada looks good because of great food photography. Plus it is their "common" food, unlike in Singapore. Most of the steak, burger, pasta, pizza chains/restaurants in Canada serve yummy food when compared to those available in Singapore.

But the Asian food in Canada is not that fantastic, except for Pho and possibly Japanese food :p