Sunday, August 30, 2009

Update on Chiropractic Treatment

Yay! I have graduated!!! After about 2 months of 3x a week treatments, I have moved on to 2x a week. My spine has improved its position and I can finally tell.

I am pretty much "duh" when it comes to myself as in I don't really focus on myself. I don't really scrutinize my body, my face, my skin, my emotions, my anything. I just go and do things and let it be.

So I did not realize that I have stopped "cracking" my neck in the last 2 months after I started chiropractic treatments. I have been "cracking" or "popping" my neck (the sound you hear when I turn my neck quickly) for so many years as it just helps to release the tension in the area. And it got to a stage where I just have to turn my head and it will just "pop".

When I first started chiropractic treatments, I had to consciously remember not to "crack" my own neck. Reason being that if I do that, I will be reversing what the chiropractor has done to adjust the spine back to its original position.

I do not know when I stop getting the urge to "crack" my own neck, but when the chiropractor said I have "graduated", then I start to think about it and realize I have stop this habit. Yay for me. I guess this is the most telling impact of chiropractic treatments for me.

I usually get such nasty migraines that my painkillers are those super strong, prescribed only pills which cost about $9 each at the doctor and over $10 each at the pharmacy. Since it was so strong, I always try not to take it unless absolutely necessary as I did not want to be addicted to it or for it to lose its effectiveness. I know people who take painkillers daily as it has become like an addiction for them.

So far I have not had any headaches after starting chiropractic treatments. Then again, I am also not very highly stressed at moments. It seemed like my headaches or migraine attacks come when I am extremely stressed. Though sometimes they come when my eyes are very tired and I do not have enough sleep.

I also do not feel the need to go for regular massages now. I used to feel the want or urge for a massage every few days but now I find I can get through the week effortlessly. Not much aches or soreness. Sometimes I still feel a bit of achiness on the upper back where the shoulder blades are, but it is no longer as bad as before.

I used to go for massage once a week or alternate week though it has dropped to a monthly affair. Massage is still a nice thing to have and I find I can really use the massage treatment as a form of relaxation and no longer as a form of remedial therapy. So now I will usually go for Swedish or Balinese massage where the long soothing strokes and kneading will relax me. I stopped asking for sports/remedial massage where pressure points are the norm to remove the knots in the body. I never like Tui Na as it was always too painful for me.

So it is indeed great news that I can see and feel the improvement in my spine with chiropractic care. I know sometimes people do wonder and think if it is all in the mind or something as it is not something you can see immediately.

Except for the instant relief the body feels after each treatment, you really do not know if your spine will or can be moved back to its original position. But now I can safely say that even if I cannot feel or see my spine, I can definitely feel the difference at this moment.

So hopefully it will continue to improve and the body will be at its optimum stage.

1 comment:

stardust979 said...

Glad your back is getting better! Working women have it really hard!! Try to relax as much as you can.