Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Hock Lam Beef Noodles


I have always like beef noodles. There is something hearty about such a simple meal. Noodles, beef slices, bean sprouts and either the gravy for dry version or the flavorful soup.

The best beef noodles I ever had has to be from Hock Lam Beef Noodles at Far East Square (or is it China Square). Much has been written about the history of this place, and how it was passed down from the current owner's father, and his other brother also operated another outlet at Purvis Street.

I have tried both Purvis Street and the one at Far East Square. Somehow I still prefer the one at Far East Square. Maybe it is the location? It is definitely bigger and has better ventilation.

I usually order the dry version as I like to add the salted vegetables and crushed peanuts to the gravy. The gravy is thick and sticky, coating the silky thin kway teow masterfully. The crushed peanuts give a crunch to the soft gooey texture. The beef slices are tender and fresh. The beefballs are not too chewy but I dislike that bits of meat tend to get stuck between my teeth when I bit into it, maybe it is my teeth that is the problem.

The soup has a beefy taste to it. I usually add a squeeze of lime to counteract the meatiness. The chili complements the meal perfectly well too.

Be forewarned that it is a very popular place and it is best to go before 12noon on weekdays, by 12:30pm there is usually a line snaking out of the shop. If you go after 3pm, the gravy for the dry version may also have been sold out.

Other good times to go are on weekends, very quiet then.

Location
Hock Lam Beef Noodles
22 China St, #01-01 Far East Square
11am-8pm Mon-Fri, 11am-5pm Sat-Sun, closed on public holidays

1 comment:

celest said...

yumm yumm! this was really good!! thanks for the recommendations! we should defintely go back for more next time... and then sweeten the meal with teh tarik/halia :9