Sunday, July 20, 2008

I did it! - Shape Run 2008

Okay, I finally completed the Shape Run 2008. This was my first ever run and it was quite an experience. I was still dreading it the night before, wondering if I should skip it. I am just so not a runner and to wake up at 530am for it is quite crazy. Anyway, I did go to the Shape Run. We got there around 635am and there were many people already. Here we were, waiting for the flag off. I took my phone and mini ipod with me. So pictures were taken with the phone. We were standing somewhere 1/3 near the front for the 5km area.
The route - blue line was for the 5km run. While I was walking towards the YESS building, the 1st 10km runner was on her way back. Woo-hoo!
The layout of the different sections at the padang. It was still madness after the run. Queues everywhere.
It was so crowded and there was a warm-up! The guy was from Fitness First leading us in warming up, but there was just no space to move at all.
The 10km run had been flagged off and we were waiting for our turn. It was late. Instead of flagging off at 735am, it was around 742am when we set off.
Since I was 1/3 near the front and had somewhere been pushed towards the middle, I had to jog a little after the flag off before I could move to the side and start walking. The switch from jogging to brisk walking was hell on my calves. Burning sensation all the way down my calves and it took a while before it subsided. My right ankle was still hurting, so I really couldn't jog much. One of the pictures I took while walking.
Another picture. There were frequent gaps as surge of runners would swell up and then ebbed. I had 3 "markers" during the run. It helped to focus on someone else and used them to pace myself. Amazing I went past them, one at a time.
On the way back, along the bridge. I was quite surprised it took me about 25-30mins to hit the midway point or something. I thought I would take 45mins each way.
Towards the end, you could see people gaining speed. I realized people would start off running, but by the time they hit the YESS building, most would slow down and either brisk walk or just slow walk. I even had time to take a drink at the water station and sip the water while walking. I didn't finish it as I just want to hydrate a little.
The segregation of the runners. There were many marshals along the way to ensure we stayed in the right lane.

The last leg - 250m more before the finish line. There were so many photographers along the way too. Halfway through, I even saw a male runner joined in (think he was there to run with his gf or something and male runners were strictly not allowed) but he left just before the turn.
The finish line. Yay. I was not really tired at all, probably because I was just walking at a constant speed. That was probably why I could pass my "markers" as they felt the burn and went into a stroll.
The end! I sped up i.e. I started running when I saw the time was moving from 49:51 or something, so when I crossed the finishing line, it was probably 49:57 or 49:58. Took the pic after I managed to catch my breath from running. I'm a sprinter, not a runner.

I am just amazed that I actually completed the 5km walk in under 50mins. I really thought I would take 2 hours or maybe 90mins to finish. Maybe all the shopping along Orchard Road paid off :p
One of the many queues of the morning. It was some time to get my bag.
It was quite organized with segregation of the different runners' tags. It helped since there were 8000 runners.

Then it was queuing for the runner's kit. That was a madhouse as the line was so winding that it was hard to find where it start. After the kit, was the yoghurt and vitagen. The girl in front of me was very kind, and her friend too. She came by and gave me a bunch of grapes and juice. I think I looked too lost or blurred and she took pity on me. Hahaha. I was alone then since HZ ran and finished earlier than me and went back first.
That girl later told us it was also madness queuing for the fruits and juice as some ladies were choosing the fruits as if they were at the market, thus holding up the line. At the runners' kit section, the girl just took my coupon and passed it to the person and grabbed the bag for me. Lol. Again, my "lost" look. They were experienced runners who participated in many runs.
Then I queued for the Subaru tee shirt since I had time to kill. That was not too bad as the line went faster. When I turned back to look at the runners' kit queue, it was practically empty. Same for the baggage claim line. HZ said there was not many people in the line for the runners' kits and baggage area when she went to pick up her items. Only the Subaru line was long so she skipped that.
I didn't queue for the deep heat massage as there was still a line. So I had the water and h2o and a power bar. The power bar was pretty good but after the walk, I didn't really have an appetite and only ate half of it as I didn't have breakfast before the run at all.
The funny thing was while walking, I kept thinking of kaya toast. Hahahaha. In the end, I didn't have kaya toast too.

2 comments:

celest said...

yay! congrats on completing the run.. very courageous of you :) the last time i did a public walk/jog-a-thon was back in JC with the school. haha..

btw, your phone takes very clear pictures.

carolyn said...

Thanks :) Results are out and my official time is 00:49:56:91 and my rank is a lowly 3255. Lol.