Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Marc Jacobs Opening @ DFS

I was invited to the Marc Jacobs official opening at DFS Galleria in town on Friday (25 July) and I asked V along. This was the first Marc Jacobs boutique in Singapore and the event was pretty well organized. It was a pretty good size crowd and people came and left after a while. The store was not huge, so the selection was not extensive too. Marc by Marc Jacobs (the secondary line) store a level up looked bigger and had a wider selection.

Paintings by this artist (I didn't manage to catch the name from Europe) were displayed. They are actually prints on canvas so they suit Singapore climate and look good too. We spoke to the person who represented the artist. I was quite pleased that I managed to get my artsy terms right. The paintings reminded me of Andy Warhol at first sight - the pop art, the bold blocky use of colors - and the female kinda reminded me of Sophia Loren too. The representative affirmed that it was done in the veins of Warhol style and the female did remind some people of Sophia Loren. So while I love the Arts and appreciate such things, I am no expert at all. I don't study it as much as I did for BV stuff. Hahahaha. Prices start from $2000. The actual painting would be from $15k and up.

The shopaholic in me. Yes, that was when I bought the Guess green butterfly sandals. See, I was already wearing them. And yes, I did buy something at Marc Jacobs too. I sure didn't expect to purchase anything at all.
No goodie bag, but instead we were given this box when we left the event. I liked how the lucky draw was conducted at 3 different timings, spacing them 20-25 minutes. So people did not really have to stay throughout the event. Plus they served Veuve Clicquot champagne and fruit punch and the wait staff actually took out the bottle to top up the glasses which was a very nice touch. They did butler service for the event. The canapes were average and desserts were not bad but the best was the eclair. A burst of soft cream melted in your mouth when you popped the entire thing in. Catering was from Purple Sage. (hahaha...occupational hazard. I am forever noticing such stuff when I attend events or when I receive any invitations or when out shopping - I always observe promotional activities)

Not a Marc Jacobs gift, but macarons from Gobi. Gobi tiny macarons were super sweet when I bought some to try last year. These were pretty good. I didn't like the initials as they were made of marzipan. The yellow macaron was chocolate and something flavored while the pink macaron was rose or something. Nice.

I just checked the website and the yellow was the Morgan Blend and the pink was the Rose. So my tastebuds were still working, not too bad :p

Morgan Blend: Lapsang Soucheng tea is perfectly blended with bergamot oil and dark chocolate

Rose: Aromatic rose macarons are time tested vintage favorite.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am in love with Marc Jacobs Daisy but dreading to pay retail price for it.
Saw it on board UA for US$47 only (50ml) and only to be shocked by the price here :(
do they have it at the boutique?

carolyn said...

Didn't see it at the boutique which is quite small. Only saw sunnies, wallets, bags and shoes. You should have gotten it in States!