Sunday, November 02, 2008

Angsana Spa @ Bintan

I was away the last few days and had an awesome time over at the Angsana Resort & Spa in Bintan. I never thought it would be fantastic as I have been to Bintan before (stayed at different resorts) and was not too impressed.

Angsana Resort & Spa was a whole new kettle of fish. The Angsana Spa was simply the best spa (at moment) which I have ever experienced.

The treatment rooms of Angsana Spa on Level 2 in another wing off the Lotus Cafe. It probably depends on your treatment on which rooms you will be given. These face the beach area so you could see the sea, beach and trees.
The view from my room after my treatment ended around 7pm. It started getting dark after 6pm. I could see bits of the azure blue sea and beach and lots of coconut trees when I went in around 450pm for my treatment. Should have taken pic then.

One side of the room. Yes, it is open-air. Initially I thought it was glass windows as it was pretty cool then. Instead the ceiling fan was turned on, cooling the room. You are "outdoor" and yet indoor at the same time.

The spa treatment room. I love how they spilt the room into two. After the treatment, you are given 30mins calm time to relax and absorb the bone-melting after effect of the massage. The fantastic view (in daylight) would prolong the effect too. The massage beds are on the other side.
The outdoor shower area where the water gushes from the bamboo tube. Nice experience.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Review of Duet for the Lady Treatment (US$110++ / 150 mins session)
Adorn your body with flowers for a memorable start to this Duet. The Flower Petal body polish is a natural, purifying scrub, followed by a warm body lotion that is smoothly absorbed into skin. Finally, a soothing massage releases tension in face muscles, improving blood circulation and complexion.
30-min Flower Petal body polish • 60-minute conditioning massage • 30-minute face massage
(Description taken from website)

It is best to book your treatment either before you went to the resort (they do reply to your email enquiry within 24 hours) or once you arrive for the time slot you prefer. Do arrive 15 minutes before the treatment time as recommended so that you can get the best out of it.

Upon arrival, the receptionist will re-confirm your treatment and ask about my face skin type (as I have the facial massage) so that they can use the appropriate oil/ingredients. I was given a glass of cold sweet lemon drink which was refreshing while waiting for them to prepare the room. There is a small gallery (or gift shop) where you can browse while waiting. Or you can read a mag by the sofa.

Shortly after, I was introduced to my therapist (Sari) who took me to the treatment room. I was asked if I need to go to the bathroom first. She would wait just outside before continuing on. There were a few rooms on the landing of the 2nd level and many rooms outside. Each room has its own name. Mine was Melati. It was like a labyrinth of stone slabs walkway to get to the room.

I was asked to take a seat by the wooden lounge chair while she prepared a foot bath. The view was breathtaking with the sea peeking through the trees. I could sit there all day with a book. Lol. Sari introduced herself and asked for my name (she would addressed you as Ms xxx for the rest of the treatment). Then she asked me to soak my feet into the basin and explained all the ingredients which would be used for the treatment.

She spoke good English and you could tell she was reciting from memory the ingredients used and the benefits. I was just happy that at least Angsana Spa has trained the staff to be hospitable, polite and equipped with the knowledge of what they are doing. Obviously I don't remember all the ingredients which went into the treatment. Hahaha. It was nicely presented. The ingredients to be used in its treatment had its own dish. Real flower petals were laid out in a circular manner with the yoghurt and rice flour(?) in the center. You could smell them too. Sari would bring each bowl up for you to smell. The oils were good too. Maybe you were to smell them so you know they were not very diluted or cheap quality ingredients which were used in so many other spas.

There was a small changing room in one corner and you were given a sarong to wrap around to get to the massage bed. I liked how they use sarong to cover you instead of the usual towels in Singapore spas. Sometimes the towels felt damp in those spas and you wondered if they were fresh but the dark damp rooms made them damp or they were simply re-used. The sarong cloth used at Angsana Spa was cool and non-scratchy.


Before the treatment, Sari already asked about the pressure I preferred and if there were any areas I would like to be concentrated on. When the treatment started, she re-checked that the pressure were fine and then left me to just enjoy it.


The body polish was wonderful. She sprinkled the petals on my back which felt like fluttering little kisses. It was a bit ticklish initially but after a while it was soothing. When it was over, she asked if I would like the shower to be warm or room temperature. Wow! She even had the shower running with the preferred temperature so that I could just nip into the shower room without any shock.

My skin felt so soft and smooth as if I had bathed in milk when I showered off the residue. That was definitely a "MUST TRY" treatment. Just found out this would only be available as part of the "Essence of Angsana" treatment, so you cannot just have that on its own.


Flower Petal - For dry/all skin types
Angsana’’s signature flower power treatment is a magical, purifying treat for all the senses. A natural scrub made from soothing almond meal, cucumber juice, milk and honey is applied, followed by a sprinkling of sweet, fragrant flowers that impart natural essence to your skin.


I must have showered too quickly (though I thought I was already in there for quite some time) as Sari was still clearing up. On to the 2nd part of the package.

The massage was really really good. It was meant to be soothing massage and so even though she was firm in pressure, it was never painful. I actually dozed off several times during the massage. She really did the entire body, including the feet (which was heavenly). She would ask if you want to cover your eyes (I did that for the body polish but not the massage as it was getting dark by then) - and they would be covered by lavender scented eye pillow.

The facial massage was good (I think - I don't recall much now maybe I did sleep during the treatment) and included a bit of back massage when they slid their hands underneath the shoulder blades and pushed up like in a facial. She also cleansed the face before massaging which was a nice touch.

After the treatment, she would wipe off the oil. You would know the treatment ended when you hear the gong went off 3x. That was Angsana Spa way of letting customers know the treatment has ended. It was probably a less intrusive way of waking your conscious if you have fallen asleep. And they do not have to tap your shoulder or whisper or shout for you to wake up. This was communicated before the treatment started so you know what it meant.

The only time Sari left the room was after the treatment when she went to get the tea for calm time. After 2 hours, I needed to use the bathroom and had to wait for a while outside for someone to take me there. There were no signages to guide. Luckily there were other staff around to take me there and they waited for me so they could take me back to the room.

The tea and a piece of cinnamon carrot cake (nust be low fat and low sugar as it was a bit tasteless and not sweet at all. Lol) were placed in a tray for me to consume. A comment card was also given for feedback. All in all, it was really money well spent for a fabulous treatment. I would book for 4pm next time so that the treatment will end in time for sunset.

After Angsana Spa, I would say the spas in Singapore cannot hold a candle to that. Spa Botanica, Asian Spa in Fullerton Hotel (which I thought was pretty good already), Aspara and the various hotel spas (e.g. Wellness Village in Pan Pacific, Retreat Spa at Hyatt (now it is a new spa) and Marriott, Amrita Spa at Raffles the Plaza previously, St. Gregory Spa) and others just do not come up to scratch at all.

I think besides the therapists, the training and entire concept of service are equally important. The view/ambience just completes the experience. Unfortunately it is not happening for Singapore at all.

No comments: