Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Ramen Santouka @ Central

After wandering around Level 3 of Central trying to find Ramen Santouka, I finally found it tucked away in a corner on Level 2. It is near the escalators facing Billy Bombers and directly below Ma Maison which faces the Singapore River/Clarke Quay. On a public holiday close to 1pm, it was the only eatery which had lots of people waiting for a table. Surprisingly there was no queue over at Marutama at all.

We were told it would be a 20 to 30mins wait but it turned out to be just 10mins, probably because it was only for 2 persons. They do not take down your number (unlike other establishments) so you do have to wait there patiently for a table.
We decided to share some side dishes besides the ramen. We had the miso ramen which came with a few slices of pork (don't really know which cut they are :p) and bamboo shoots, fish cake. I have read that the soup was really salty and was mentally prepared for it. I guess miso was not too bad as I could still take it and I am the type who do not cook with salt at all :p There was a jug of water on the table for you to refill the water glass. The noodles were pretty ok. The small bowl was deceptively deep as it seemed to contain a never ending supply of noodles. I didn't finish it at all. But I think I prefer Marutama ramen.
I also prefer Marutama stewed egg as the version here was not as flavorful and the yolk was not as runny as over at Marutama. We ordered the famous Tokusen Toroniku (choice pork - the pork cheeks) where only 60 portions were served per day. It was a bit salty and soft. I would not really say it was melt in your mouth tender but definitely not dry or tough at all. The Char Siu could be better though. Again, Marutama grilled char siu was so much better and definitely melt in your mouth.
Overall, I think I prefer Marutama Ramen :)

Location
Ramen Santouka
6 Eu Tong Sen St
#02-76, The Central
Tel: +6 6224 0668

No comments: