Sunday, March 15, 2009

Boomarang Bistro & Bar - Horrid Food

This is basically the worst ever meal I ever had in a long long long while. I was initially excited about trying the food but it turned out to be a very bad and costly mistake.

I was in the Robertson Walk/Quayside area doing site recce for potential venues for my events and Boomarang looked like a nice place for food or drinks. I googled for more information and the reviews were hit and miss.

Anyway, so we got there close to 8pm and made it in time for the happy hours (till 8pm). My tequila 7-up mixer was decent, but JK said her beer was not ice cold at all.

The menu selection was decent but filled with non-regular choice of meat. Emu, crocodile, kangeroo, anyone? I was not particularly hungry and decided on the fish and chips. How can you go wrong with fish and chips?

I have very fond memories of the fish and chips in Australia. Huge packet of chips with a pretty big slab of deep fried fish. I was surprised when my dish arrived (see the pic above). 2 tiny pieces of deep fried fish which were not fresh at all. The meat was tough and dry and had a very strong fishy smell and taste. The batter was thick too. I had one bite and didn't touch the rest.

The chips were not golden brown, instead they were pale and looked undercooked. The dips were totally tasteless. Watery and tasteless. I never had a mayo or tartar sauce which lacked any sort of taste at all.

JK ordered a crocodile meat pizza. Ok, I didn't like the taste of crocodile meat (I spat it out) but that could be an acquired taste. But the thin crust pizza was soggy in the middle. Not good at all. Again, I only took a bite of the pizza and left the rest of the slice on my plate.

Throughout the 40minutes we were there, no one actually bothered to ask if everything was alright. Instead they were more concerned about drinks. They came over several times asking JK if she wanted another drink as she had finished her beer. We were actually contemplating ordering a bottle of wine, but with the sub-standard of the food, we were hesitant to order a bottle in case it would be equally bad.

We asked for the bill, and I wrote my comment on the feedback card. The waiter who gave me the check did not even ask if anything was wrong when it was obvious that our food was virtually untouched. After I signed for the bill and passed the comment card and told him the food was awful, he told his manager. The manager just looked over at our table and us and didn't do anything either. I think that spoke volume on what his focus and priority were.

In any case, I will not go back to Boomarang in a hurry. And I will definitely strike it off my list of venue for events. I was actually there to recce the place as my colleague forgot to check the wine list and I wanted to just do some checking before calling up the lady whom my colleague spoke to previously. I certainly do not want to run the risk of not having adequate support from their service staff when I hold events.

It is such a pity. Nice location, nice ambience. Just very bad food and mediocre service.

Location
Boomarang Bistro & Bar
60 Robertson Quay #01-15
Tel: 6738-1077

4 comments:

Aggieb said...

hahahaha...I thought u ordered 2nuggets and fries. pathetic.

stardust979 said...

Oh dear..some restaurants are really horrible....hope this has not left a bitter aftertaste to the food in the rest of your week. Hope you eat better food tomorrow! :)

carolyn said...

Aggieb: I was stunned too. If they were nice, not too bad. But they were horrid. I didn't intend to blog about the place but when the food was terrible and service mediocre, I just had to. Hence the camera phone pic.

stardust979: Thanks :) We went on to Menya Shinchan for ramen. Much better food for a fraction of the cost.

Sooty Singapore said...

I totally agree. The place sucks and the food is the worst. This place is SO overhyped!!!