Saturday, March 28, 2009

Cafe Iguana Appetizers

I was at Cafe Iguana last night with some friends and it was packed to the rafters as usual. They have changed their furniture too! The outside tables are paired with bright colorful metal chairs of yellow, blue, green and red. I don't like it at all. A server told me they are from the Greenwood outlet and much lighter than the wooden chairs.

The service was not as good as before too. We were not given the complimentary (not sure about now but it was complimentary the last time I was there around CNY period) chips and salsa dip but I didn't bother to ask for that since I was not that hungry. Water was not served promptly too. I had to request for that twice. Water was only topped up regularly without us asking after I managed to request for a top-up from the i/c or something. It was sad to see the service standard slipping as I used to be such a regular that the i/c recognized me (can't remember if it is the same i/c now).

Then because we only ordered appetizers to share as we were not very hungry, we were not given the proper napkins with fork and knife. Again, another staff told me about this policy. I always thought that was a standard, to be given the proper napkins with cutlery. And when another friend ordered fajitas (from the mains) later, she was not given a plate to make the fajitas.

The saving grace was that the food remained as good and the margarita was still wonderful too.

Quesadillas of mushroom and cheese with salsa dip. Cheesy and filled with enough mushrooms to give bite to the dish.
My favorite appetizer - carne de puerco en chile verde - spicy pork stew with rice, sour cream, flour tortilla. This dish has to be ordered as the appetizer. Somehow the smaller portion enabled the entire bowl of rice to be soaked with the stew.

The main tends to be a bit dry and not as flavorful or good. The pork was tender and has no porky taste or smell at all. There were cubes of potatoes and carrots (I think).

Taco salad - trying to be healthy to get some greens. We chose the chicken skewers but the meat was a bit tough. The other choices were veggies and beef. The greens were fresh and crispy crunchy. The tortilla bowl was crispy and oh so yummy too.

A simple light dinner filled with good food and drinks and company. If only the service was better (though to be fair, it was pretty ok towards the end) and the furniture was the previous ones.

Do make reservations as they are usually full for the weekend.

No comments: