Monday, March 16, 2009

Starbucks Espresso Passport

Starbucks has a current promotion called the Espresso Passport which is a pretty good deal if you are a regular Starbucks customer.

For $29.90, you get the passport which entitles you to 6 grande espresso beverages (cold/hot). That works out to about $5 each which it great if your drink typically costs over $6. I'm a caramel machiato drinker so that is great savings for me.

By espresso, it means virtually any coffee drink e.g. mocha, caramel machiato, cappuccino, latte, espresso, etc in both the hot or cold menu which actually gives you more than 10 choices? You have to finish the passport within two months of purchase which will not be a hardship if you need a java fix daily.

The promotion is so popular that the passport runs out fast. It was sold out when I bought my passport and I had to go back a few times throughout the week before I received mine. I pre-paid for the passport as the i/c said they were expecting the new stock the next day.


Tall quantity caramel machiato in a grande size cup?

So the barista had to change my original order of a tall caramel machiato to the grande. Imagine my dismay when I removed the cap to stir my coffee. It was not full at all, it was just slightly over 3/4 of the cup. No wonder the cup felt lighter than usual. That got me thinking maybe they just transferred the "tall size" quantity into the grande cup or maybe it was the way they do it over at my office building outlet.


Full size of the grande caramel machiato

A few days later, I ordered another grande caramel machiato. This time, it was made by the i/c and it was heavy and full to the brim.


I wondered at the quality control at the outlet since it happened a few times that my grande size drink contained less than the usual amount.

I usually ordered the tall size so I never had any issue with the drink quantity at all...until now. Or maybe you get less because you are using the passport? Somehow I don't think that is the case. Maybe it really depends on the barista making the coffee.

No comments: