Monday, March 09, 2009

Revisiting YSL Y-Mail Zip Wallet

After looking at wallets for so long, I think I am about 70% leaning towards getting the YSL Y-Mail zip wallet. Now the problem is the color since I have given up on getting a metallic gold which I was contemplating previously. The gold will flake over time, so it is not a practical wallet for everyday use.While searching around online, I saw the navy and quite like the dark blue sheen (no longer available online now and more expensive in the States too). So I popped back into YSL over the weekend to check if they do carry the blue but nada. Sigh. It really only stocks the classic colors of black, metallic gold and metallic silver.
The black YSL Y-Mail...under certain lighting in the store, it looked blue to me! I must have blue on my mind as I am so fixated on blue this season. Lol. Anyway, since it is part of the classic range and colors, it will always be around. Now I just have to change my mind to black, black, black.

Sidenote: BV cobalt veneta in DFS is sold out too. Another of my target bites the dust...unless the other outlets still have them.

Images from eluxury.com and ysl.com

7 comments:

Kylie said...

That is a gorrrrrrgeous wallet. What's the designer availability like in Singapore? I remember going there quite some time ago now and I'd love to come back, but I am curious about what I can buy there!

carolyn said...

Hi! You can find pretty much most of the designer stores in Singapore. Malls to check out would be Paragon, Takashimaya, Hilton/Four Seasons Shopping Gallery and DFS.

There are Prada, YSL, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Tod's, Bottega Veneta, Hermes, Jimmy Choo, Loewe, Dior, Marc Jacobs, Ferragamo, Gucci, Mulberry, Miu Miu, Dolce & Gabbana, Armani, Boss...pretty much all the major designers. Happy shopping :)

Anonymous said...

Hello,

how much is the wallet retailing for?

repete66211 said...

I was hunting for a black zip Y-Mail wallet for the g/f when I came across this post. I haven't found what I'm looking for, but I did find a blue snap version on eBay. You mention you are (were) looking for a blue YSL wallet, so I thought I'd let you know about it.

"NWT Yves Saint Laurent Mail Patent Wallet - Blue 09" is the description. Starting bid is $325 while Buy it Now is $350. Bidding ends 9/19/09 at 13:15 PDT.

Good luck!

carolyn said...

Thank you for the lead :) I've checked out ebay and the color was the one I was looking for. Unfortunately the style was not. I prefer zip-around wallet.

Hope you managed to find the black wallet for your gf.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Does the gold really peel over time? I was thinnking of getting 1 but then I read your post & hesitated..Reali?

carolyn said...

Hi Joeanne

I believe so. I have gold bags/wallets from other brands before and they do peel over time because the material is more delicate. I have checked with the YSL staff and they also mentioned the gold wallet will peel over time if it is used daily.

I guess most delicate or lighter colored material will just looked very used over a period of usage. It is still a very pretty wallet :) It is a great excuse to get a new wallet if it looks really bad after using it for a while ;p

I have the Y-Mail card case in black. It is patent leather and is more durable than the gold. The only drawback is that patent leather will show fingerprints easily.