Sunday, March 22, 2009

Chap Goh Meh Homecooked Dinner

The pictures have been sitting in the folder for a darn long time but many were blurred so I didn't really have time to sort them out and decide which one to put online.

This Chinese New Year was filled with feasts. There were so many CNY family dinners that it seemed like this financial crisis has made people cherish their families/relatives more?

This was a Chap Goh Meh dinner hosted by one of my cousins though technically it was on the 13th night of CNY as the last day of CNY fell on a Monday and it would be more convenient for everyone on a weekend.

The highlight of the dinner? Almond jelly in the shape of carp (to symbolize abundance?) nestled among the numerous longans and cubed jelly. The kids sure loved this dessert, they were just waiting to dive in and devoured the fish jelly :p

The traditional dishes. We had enough of steamboat after having that for the eve and 1st day together. It was a nice break to have a delicious, home cooked food. I realized I hardly ever have that ever since I started working. Pretty obvious from this blog that I eat out more than I eat at home. The empty space was for the soup.

What did we have?
Steamed chicken which was very tender and fragrant.
Mushrooms and xiao bai cai - love the sauce and mushrooms and veggies
Roasted duck - I'm not a duck person so I only took 1 piece which was pretty good
Chap Chye (or mixed veggies) - I loved the bean curd roll in there, plus that crispy bits


Cereal prawns which were sweet and tasty and the ever addictive oat cereal. Really finger licking good.

My cousin roasted the pork and char siew herself. I am not a pork fan but these were good since there were no porky taste to them. I do so love the crackly pork skin :p The trick is to rub the skin with salt before putting into the oven to get the crispy crunchy skin.

I love love love the soup with chinese cabbage, mushrooms, fishballs, homemade meatballs mixed with sotong and fish maw. Absolutely pleasing to the tummy.

A surprise - birthday cake for me and nephew whose birthday is 4 days before mine. His due date was actually on my birthday but he decided to enter the world early :p My very first birthday cake for the year.
I just love home cooked food especially when cooked by my cousins ;p

No comments: