Saturday, April 19, 2008

Canelé @ Raffles City

Raffles City Shopping Centre basement has undergone tremendous change. Right in the middle where MIX used to be is now Canelé. Canelé has certainly expanded from its first shop at Robertson Walk, then to Paragon and now Raffles City. We decided to have dinner there for SC's birthday dinner. I like how they have 2 types of seatings - proper table and chairs on one side for those who prefer that to dine, and sofa-like armchairs with smaller table for those who want to chill and just have desserts.

This was my first time dining at Canelé at Raffles City. Before that I have tried the desserts over at the outlet at Robertson Walk and the sweets were awesome!

I ordered the seafood marinara pasta which was really good. The seafood and pasta were not overcooked and look at the huge juicy piece of scallop. It was slightly spicy with the chili tomato sauce with a bit of wine (though I can hardly taste the wine at all). The portion looked small but it was sufficient to fill the tummy, so it was just right. Plus it left some space for dessert too :p
SC ordered the mushroom alfredo, which sounded boring on the menu. Onions and mushroom cream sauce with aged parmesan cheese. But when it arrived, the aroma of the cheese just blew me away. It smelled so good that it just excited the tastebuds. Initially I thought the cheese was Emmental as that tend to have a stronger taste and aroma for me. I tried a little and it was as good as it smell. SC said it was really nice as it was not too "jelak" as most cream sauce tend to be. I would want to order that next time :)

I got to choose our desserts and it was so hard to select just two with the huge selection available. All of the cakes looked so good! The macarons too. I was no longer tempted by the meringues since I tried that previously.
I decided on the Mont Blanc as I have heard raves for it and how it was always snapped up by the Japanese. True enough, only 2 pieces were left when I went to check out the dessert counter even before our main courses arrived :p I ordered that immediately to be served after the pasta. It was nice. It was filled with chestnut paste. Very different from my usual chocolate selection.

But after reading the book "Remember Me" by Sophie Kinsella where Mont Blanc was mentioned, I will always have a different image in my mind when I hear "Mont Blanc" ;p

The other dessert was this rose infused cake. I can't remember the actual name now but it was rose infused with raspberry sauce in the center. This was really nice too. It was not too sweet and the tartness of the raspberry sauce contrasted wonderfully. You could really taste and smell the rose.

The cakes were simply perfect with the specialty teas we ordered. I had Sweet Meadows which was camomile with lemon myrtle. I think I need to try the chocolate desserts next time. There are so many which looked so tempting.

For more information, visit Canelé

2 comments:

test it comm said...

Both of those pasta dishes look really tasty!

carolyn said...

They were really good. I am searching for a recipe for the mushroom alfredo.