Sunday, January 18, 2009

Häagen-Dazs - buyer beware

There is a new flavor from Häagen-Dazs in Singapore and I cannot remember it now. I think it is dark chocolate brittle or something which is utterly divine. That is if you like dark chocolate which is not too sweet or bitter mixed with some nutty brittle, giving a bit of crunch to the otherwise smooth creamy after meal dessert.

Just be sure to verify the cost of anything the server asked you, otherwise your bill will come up to more than expected.

This is something I thoroughly disliked in Singapore. The service staff has been trained by the management to always ask customers if they want this and that, making it seem like the option is part of the deal when actually it is an additional cost.

E.g. I asked for a scoop of ice cream. I was asked if I wanted it in a cone or cup. I said cone. Then I was asked if I wanted chocolate sauce on it. I said yes. So I was slapped with an additional $2.20 ($1.20 for the waffle cone, $1 for topping) on top of the $5.50 scoop. Yes, the prices have all gone up too. For my humble 1-scoop ice cream, I was charged $7.70. If I topped up a couple of dollars, I think I could have a sundae instead.

My context for my answers was based on another ice cream chain - Andersen's Ice Cream - which I frequented more than Häagen-Dazs. And at Andersen's Ice Cream, all these choices were included in the price of a scoop of ice cream.

At Andersen's, you could have a choice of 3 toppings - chocolate, strawberry and caramel with whipped cream and a piece of almond! And regular cone is part of the choice, you only topped up if you requested for a waffle cone.

I think at some fast food chains, they do tell you if you upsize your meal, it will be an additional $xxx. Maybe the management should provide a new script to the service staff.

Think of the little child who asked for ice cream, the parents gave the kid the exact amount, and if the child said yes to all the options like I did, how in the world would the child be able to pay for the extras? And if the customer is on a tight budget, and paying $5.50 is a treat, to cough up an extra $2.20 would be a strain on the finances.

Plus $7.70 for a scoop is definitely a treat since I think even the service staff of Häagen-Dazs probably earn less than $7 per hour (part-timer/temp staff). And Singapore does not even have a minimum wage law.

No comments: