Thursday, January 12, 2006

Bread & Butter Pudding Recipe

I have not make this in a while now, but by special request from a friend. Here is the recipe for Bread & Butter Pudding. Errr....hope it works as I usually cook based on estimation :p

I learnt this from my cousin and I like her version as it is not very sweet and it has a crispy crunchy crust, not those spongey softness.

Ingredients:
bread slices (estimate the amount to cover the pie plate/baking pan)
milk (enough to cover the bread, but not too much)
cinnamon sugar
butter
1 egg (2 if you are using more bread)
raisins, candied fruits (optional)

Method:
1. Trim away the crust from the bread (if you like it soft and crustless). I usually keep the crust, and I like to use the ends of the bread too.
2. Butter 1 side of the bread, and cut into squares or fingers.
3. Place the bread (butter side face-up) on the pan (greased) - 1 layer. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (I prefer this instead of regular sugar). Top with remaining bread, and sprinkle with sugar again.
4. Mix milk and egg together. Pour over the bread; not too much that it becomes very soggy.
5. Let it stand for about 30mins, for the bread to soak in the liquid.
6. Place into oven and bake for 10-12 mins, temperatue 220C (I use a microwave convection oven) or till the pudding is set and top is brown and crisp.
7. Serve it warm with vanilla ice cream.

I hope that helps :) I don't have the recipe for the vanilla sauce though.

Other options: Can also add bananas and caramel sauce to the layers. Or spread nutella for a chocolatey taste.

Enjoy!