Sunday, January 08, 2006

Spageddies - 7 Jan 2006

It was a reunion of sorts on Saturday, 7 Jan 2006. MH organized a lunch gathering for the Bronte graduates (those living in Sg, obviously), WY chose the location: Spageddies at Paragon

http://www.spageddies.com.sg/webtop/

It was a bit awkward, as there were a couple of people whom I have not seen or hardly spoken to in like 12 years, yes, 12 years. So there were WY, PY, WH, MH & wife, Jack & partner, Thomas & wife and myself (10 of us only). Of these, the only person I see/speak to regularly (as in at least once a year...hahahahah) is WH. I seriously thought MH had left Sg and went back to Msia. I have not seen Jack and Thomas since 1994 or 1995 (not after we graduated from high school). WY since 2001? PY - we exchanged msgs on and off, so not too bad, but it was not like we are super close or anything. It is funny how life is as WY was my roomie back then, and we were quite close, but I guess we just grew apart over the years. It wasn't too bad for me as at least I knew the people there, but for WH, I think he felt awkward too as he only knows me and MH better. The rest he either had not met before or were more like acquaintances.

Anyway, onto the food...hehe. I ordered one of the specialties "chef choo's special" - black pepper soft shell crab served on a bed of spaghetti, tossed with chopped garlic, olive oil, prosciutto ham, mushrooms, with spicy neapolitan sauce. I changed the spaghetti to linguine instead.

It was a toss between this and the chicken caesar salad with fried calamari. This place served one of the best calamari I have ever had and I am not a huge fan of calamari in the first place. Another recommended dish is the dessert - tiramisu. Very nice presentation and filled with espresso and kahlua (then again, I love kahlua so that probably explained why :p)

The spaghetti vongole is apparently very good too, highly commended by my Maltese friend (Maltese, as you know, is very close to the Italians). I have tried the chicken fettucine before but I was not too impressed by it (chicken is too tough, and the pasta is so-so). Maybe I had better one before. I love the one at Kelsey's, even though I only had it once, I loved it so much.
Cajun Chicken Alfredo
sauteed mushrooms, green onions, tomatoes and basil tossed with linguine noodles in a creamy alferdo sauce. topped with sliced cajum chicken breast and shredded parmesan cheese

http://www.kelseys.ca/home.html

Hmmm...just checked the locations, and they have expanded. Available in BC too. Yay!

4 comments:

monochromatix said...

Heeeeeeyyy... Thanks for the plug at the bottom of the entry ;)

I think I'll go give it a shot next time I get a chance. Both Vancouver locations are about equal distance from me. hehe... I'll let u know and u can read about it, although you'll have to bear w/ me as I suck at reviewing eateries :p

I also am not a fan of calamari :\ as for pasta, you can't go wrong with a good penne :)

carolyn said...

You have to try it! Hope it is still as good as when I had it in London, Ontario. Looking forward to your review :)

Red Lobster is still not available in Vancouver, right? I love their biscuits :p

monochromatix said...

Will definitely give it a shot! As for Red Lobster.. They've got a RedLobster.ca but I tried using the restaurant locator and it appears there isn't one here :(

carolyn said...

The restaurant chains are different for Eastern and Western Canada (be thankful you are not in the middle :p).

I remembered going to Red Lobster and Olive Garden in Eastern Canada. But there are Red Robin, Earls, Old Spaghetti Factory...in Western Canada.

I guess the nearest Red Lobster will still be in WA state for those in BC.