Friday, January 20, 2006

Spas in Singapore

Spas are mushrooming in Singapore, and even more so after the papers reported the millions of turnovers the big established spas are raking. Now, any beauty outlet with a jacuzzi on the premise will call themselves a spa and widen their services to include massages. Many are jumping onto the bandwagon without doing research, similar to when nail salons are booming. Nail salons are cheaper to operate as one does not require much capital, unlike opening a "spa".

While spas slug it out in a price war, consumers are enjoying the variety available right here in Singapore and at a "cheap" price (if one know where to find it ;p )

I started going to spas after my first visit to Zen Spa somewhere near KL, Malaysia in 2000. That was one of my most "spur of the moment" trip, but that is another story. Anyway, I was utterly captivated by my experience there, I was so thoroughly destressed and relaxed after the treatments. After visiting so many spas in Singapore since then, I have yet to find one that can match up to that first time.

I will post more on my experience in the various spas I have been to, both in Singapore and overseas.

In Singapore (places I went to for body massages/scrubs, didn't include facials):
Amrita Spa, Raffles the Plaza
Asian Spa, Fullerton Hotel (under the Aspara Group)
The Aspara, Goodwood Park Hotel (pre-renovation period)
The Aspara, Amara Hotel
Renewal Day Spa, UE2 Shopping Centre
Rustic Nirvana, Cantonment Road outlet
Spa Esprit Downtown, Paragon Shopping Centre
Spa Esprit, Holland Village
The Ultimate Wellness Haven (formerly known as Inner Harmony), Shaw Center
Inner Harmony, Far East Plaza
Andana @ Orchard, Paragon Shopping Center
HelioAsiaSpa, Paragon Shopping Center
Elements Spa, Orchard Hotel Shopping Arcade
Elements Spa, SAFRA Town Club
Spa Botanica, Sentosa
Amore Day Spa, Parco Bugis
Body Sutra, Carpenter Street
The Red Peach Boutique Spa, Chinatown
Body Wellness, Stamford Court
Subtle Senses, Chinatown
Body Contours, Roxy Park Hotel
Aromatic House Day Spa, Serangoon Gardens
The Retreat, Grand Hyatt Singapore
The Retreat, Marriott Hotel
My Summer Spa, Tanglin Mall
One Beauty Place, Tangs
Mahogany, Winsland House
Lender's Bodyrite (name has been changed, can't remember now), Pacific Plaza
The Good Earth Day Spa, Forum Shopping Center


I think that is about all I can remember trying. I will be trying another new spa this Sunday. True Spa, opened by the people behind True Yoga. It looks promising, when I went for the preview. I am still deciding on which spa to go to for my birthday. It has become a yearly ritual for me since 2001 when my group of pals got me a spa voucher for The Aspara for my birthday. Ever since, I make it a point to go to the spa on my birthday or thereabouts.

2001 - The Aspara, Goodwood Park Hotel
2002 - Renewal Day Spa, UE2 Shopping Center
2003 - either I skipped it as I was going to Oz or it was Rustic Nirvana (Can't remember)
2004 - Spa Botanica, Sentosa
2005 - Spa Esprit, Paragon
2006 - ??? (leaning towards Andana again)

ETA: I keep adding and adding and I can't believe I spent so much on spas since 2001!

No comments: