Sunday, January 08, 2006

Carl's Jr - 7 Jan 2006


Carl's Jr finally made its way to Singapore in July last year at Marina Square. Now there are 3 outlets (Robinson Tower, Marina Square and Suntec City), I believe there will be more to come as the guy who brought in the franchaise mentioned something about opening 25 outlets in Singapore and possibly Malaysia too.

http://www.carlsjr.com/home/

This is the only fast food joint which I do not mind going, not that I go there that often as I don't really take fast food now. I went there last night with Celest after our afternoon of shopping (we have been deprived - hahahaha) at the Marina outlet. I think we got there around 830pm or 9pm and we were not that famished so we didn't order the burgers at all. Instead we shared the chicken breast strips, fried zucchini, chili beef fries and an iced tea.

Chili beef fries, chicken breast strips and fried zucchini, plus 3 dips (BBQ sauce, honey mustard and house dressing)

Close up of the food

I like the chicken breast strips as they are very tender, but the batter is just a bit on the salty side. Not too taken with the chili beef fries as the fries are a bit soggy and the chili beef is very mild, doesn't have the ooomph factor. The zucchini is nicely done, I like that. I love the drink fountain at Carl's Jr as it is self-served and is refillable. The tea is lovely as it is freshly brewed (not plasticky tasting like Seasons or at times Liptons). Now I refused to drink iced tea which is not brewed or home-made. I dislike the instant taste of iced tea. It just isn't the same. At Carl's Jr Singapore, it followed the typical American way. You add your own sugar/sweetener, creamer/milk and lemon, which is good as not everyone likes it that sweet or if they have diabetes or other health problems, they can't have the regular sugar, etc.

So far my fave burger is still the guacamole bacon burger, but alas, it contains a whopping 1120 calories *faint*. Hence I have decided to restrict myself to either sharing that or only having it for lunch where at least it can be burnt off. The bulk of the calories probably come from the avocado. There is something about avocado which tastes so good. The creamy light texture combined with the succulent beef burger just go so well.

I tried the sourdough bacon cheeseburger (550 calories for those interested to know) before and it was quite a disappointment. The sourdough bun tasted like regular bread, unlike the usual sourdough. Have not ordered that since, then again I have only had Carl's Jr food 4 times so far, so I have not tried everything on the menu :p

For sides, the criss cut fries are yummy, especially if they are served warm, fresh from the fryer. Same goes for the onion rings. The onion rings are huge, made with real onions. Basically everything at Carl's Jr is big-sized, not puny like the other fast food joints.

1 comment:

celest said...

i LOVED the chicken strips and fried zucchini, been thinking (and craving) of it since that night we went to carl's junior at marina square. i don't mind going back sometime again ;) thanks for the good recommendations!