Saturday, January 14, 2006

Mai Vietnamese Restaurant

Was out with the girls for a day of shopping (yay! I finally got my winter* coat though I have no idea where or when I will be traveling :p). We caught the sneak preview of Memoirs of a Geisha. I like it, the Chairman is so charming. Hehe. Very interesting as I never did get to read the book, so everything is fresh for me.

We had a late dinner at Mai Vietnamese Restaurant at The Atrium, next to Plaza Singapura. I have not been to Mai for ages, the last time I was there was mid 2004 (I think). There has always been raves about Mai, that it serves pretty authentic Vietnamese food. Having never been to Vietnam, I can't really comment on the authenticity. Plus my taste buds were used to the Vietnamese food (or rather pho bo) that was served in Canada.

I have always been disappointed by the Vietnamese food in Singapore as the pho just do not taste the same as in Canada or even America for that matter, and they do not have the same condiments too (the chili with the rooster picture and green cap, the dark prawn paste sauce (?), basil leaves, bean sprouts, lime and cut green chilies). But Mai...the food is good.

I ordered the beef shin stew with noodles and shared the net spring rolls with Celest. The spring rolls were nicely done. Warm and crispy, yet not oily at all. The beef stew noodles came in a generous serving, and it is soupy, a nice surprise as I was kinda expecting a starchy gravy type of stew. The beef was tender, with a "melt in your mouth" quailty to it, and the soup was flavorful without it being too salty. I would want to go back there again to try other stuff.

The menu is extensive, with many mains, not the regular run-of-the-mill restaurants that only serve pho bo.

No pictures as I was too busy devouring the food to remember to take them :p

*HK Winter since coat is from HK, apparently is only for temperature of 15C or thereabouts.

2 comments:

monochromatix said...

:D It's funny u happened to post about a Vietnamese restaurant ;) I also had a bowl of Pho the following day ;) (Jan 15)

Wish u took some piccy's tho! So u feel that the Vietnamese restaurants are more flavorful here in Canada? Interesting... you'd think that an Asian restaurant in an Asian location would hit closer to home :(

carolyn said...

Lol. I wish I took some pics too :p This restaurant is good, but the others I have tried were not that fantastic. Maybe because there are not that many Vietnamese in Singapore compared to Canada.