Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Yu Sheng

My family has never been big on having Yu Sheng during Chinese New Year, but in recent years, it seemed to be a "must-have" everywhere now.

Last year, I must have tossed so many yushengs that I don't even remember the quantity. Besides doing it with family, we were doing it at work too. That is, during the business luncheons that we had with business partners.

This year, I have tossed it 3 times so far. At Hock's place on the first day.

Look at the beautiful picture it made, with the colorful shredded veggies and the condiments and raw salmon to accompany it. That is home-made, shredded by my niece Charmaine and helped by others too.

There is a meaning to having yu sheng. Basically one has to toss the ingredients to mix them all up, and the higher you tossed, the better luck it will bring in the new year. Also, while tossing, you are supposed to say all the good things or fortune you would like to happen in the new year.


It is a salad of thinly sliced raw fish, finely grated vegetables, red and white pickled ginger, pepper, pomelo sacs, sesame seeds, peanuts, plum sauce, crackers, all tossed in a dressing. I can't remember all the specific meanings for each items, but this is what I recalled.

The fish is to represent abundance in the new year
Plum sauce - sweetness in the new year
Crackers - gold in the new year as it looked like the taels (money) in old China.


It is a pretty sweet salad filled with crunchy veggies and nuts and fish. I like it, makes me feel healthy having that. Hehe.

No comments: