Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Capoeira

Ok, so I often try things without realizing the history or what it actually is, or even what it looks like. E.g. bellydancing, curling, sensual dancing... I have heard about Capoeira from Neka a few years back when I was telling him about my dances I think. He told me he was learning it in NZ and he took to it like duck to water and became very good at it. When we last met last year when he was in Singapore (he asked some church friends where I was as he didn't see me in church), he told me he was actually teaching it at the university in Hawaii. Cool eh. I doubt I can ever teach bellydancing as I am just not focused and disciplined enough to practise everyday, plus I am really bad with remembering choreography.

Well, back to capoeira. I have always wanted to try it after Neka told me about it. I think he told me it was like a dance, so of course I was keen. I am always interested in all forms of dance. California Fitness is finally going to offer it as a class in end February or early March. There was a preview of Capoeira on Monday, so I decided to go try it out.

It was fun. Lots of bending/crouching positions (I guess that is the attack or defense mode) with arms in front of your face. The sway/beat of the stance is similar to kickboxing. There were even kicks involved, twirling on the floor, supporting on your hands and lifting your legs in the air (that of course, I can't do). It worked up a sweat, but it was good. Time flew by and before you knew it, the 1 hr is up.

Now I am paying for that workout. The instructors did warn us our thighs will ache the next day, but they never mentioned how much. The back of my thighs and butt are still aching 2 days later. It is quite bad, I can barely sit or lie down without grimacing in pain. Not sure if a sports remedial massage will work.

Anyway, here is the history of Capoeira (taken from http://www.adoclife.com/history.htm)
The Origins of Capoeira
Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian art form, which merges physical activity with music, rhythm and dance. It is an activity whose essential character has been preserved over the years by virtue of its intimate connection with popular culture. It was the negro slaves that arrived in Brazil who, through the practice of capoeira as a form of amusement, attempted to forget the burden of their lives. Entertaining themselves thus, they developed, in camouflaged form, and instrument of combat, which they could employ without need for weapons, to confront the supervisors and owners of the plantations.


After the abolition of slavery, a new struggle for survival began against economic and social marginalization, as well as against racial discrimination. Many former slaves left the plantation and contributed to the growth of the urban centres such as Rio de Janeiro and Salvador. Under the difficult circumstances of their new life in freedom, many capoeiristas saw no alternative other than to take jobs as hired gunmen and bodyguards for those holding power.

The practice of Capoeira, which had already been forbidden and persecuted under slavery, continued to be the object of State repression.Hundreds of Capoeiristas were exiled to the distant island of Fernando de Noronha in the 1890s. Despite this regression, Capoeira managed to survive and retain all of its vigour and beauty, enchanting all those who attend the displays in the big cities such as Recife, Salvador and Rio de Janeiro.

In the 1930s the first official Capoeira gymnasium was founded by Master Bimba, who managed to obtain official recognition. Capoeira academies have multiplied in Brazil since then, and Capoeira has become established in all the states of Brazil. It is even practiced in schools and has become part of the official curriculum. This growth has continued, spreading as far away from Brazil as Autralia.

In essence, capoeira is a form of martial arts with acrobatics, dance and music involved. There are 2 types of it. Capoeira Angola (more graceful) and Capoeira Regional (has more street fighting elements). I think I am learning Capoeira Angola which is the traditional and more graceful type.

No comments: