Monday, February 27, 2006

Melt The World Cafe - Oriental Hotel

Pictures say a thousand words.








































































The food is very fresh and while the variety is not as wide as The Line at Shangri-La Hotel, it is very manageable. There are local Chinese (which I didn't get to try), Indian, Italian, Western, Japanese, Thai food plus appetizers (no fresh seafood i.e. oysters, chilled prawns, mussels etc), salad and cheese board. The dessert is yummy with selection of cakes, waffles, brownies, mini portions of sweets, fresh fruits and the chocolate fountains (milk and dark chocolate).

One thing I must rave about is the FANTASTIC SERVICE. From the moment I stepped into Oriental Hotel till I left, the service was wonderful. The doorman actually walked us to the bank of elevators when I asked how do I get to Melt (Oriental has renovated, so there were some changes), I was impressed with that as that is more of a Ritz-Carlton service where the staff has to walk guests to the destinations, and not just wave and point in a general direction.

At Melt, the Maitre D offered to introduce the types of food available and showed us around the various stations. The rest of the staff was equally attentive and helpful. Water was topped up and plates cleared without us having to prompt, and food recommendations were made when asked or if the saw us contemplating what to get. They were very proactive. When they saw my mom and her friend starting on their desserts, the staff asked them if they will like coffee or tea. Apparently the coffee/tea can be free flow as a waiter asked me if I would like more (my coffee was half finished and I was reading the papers while my mom and her friend yakked away). Initially I said no, but then he named the various types of tea available. He recommended the moroccan mint tea, which was really nice. A bit sweet but refreshing. It came served in a small cup with a leaf of mint floating on it.

The clincher was when we walked out of Oriental, the doorman remembered me and asked if I enjoyed my lunch. Now that is service.

Location:
Melt The World Cafe
Level 4, Oriental Hotel

1 comment:

^cherie said...

Er, do they have bread and butter pudding? Lol.. I'm still nuts over it!