Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Straits Kitchen - Grand Hyatt Hotel

I like Straits Kitchen - Grand Hyatt's newest restaurant. It serves a variety of local food in a buffet though ala carte is available too. I went there with Irene for lunch. I think it is $36+++ for the lunch buffet. Thank goodness for UOB Platinum 1 for 1 at Hyatt. Hehe.

There are many stations featuring indonesian/malay nasi padang, chinese food, indian food, noodles/rice, local desserts and fruits.

We tried so much food. I always like the Indian food section with its naan, prata and murtabak plus countless side dishes of curries. I like the puree spinach dish and the prawns curry. The Tandoori chicken is surprisingly tender.

Indian food

We also tried the bbq stingray, oyster omelette (very good - oysters are fresh), otak, satays (bit tough - a disappointment), soya chicken and roasted duck (I didn't try that), fried rice (has the wok hei taste, delicious), steamed seabass or cod and popiah...I finally had the prawn mee soup but without the noodles. The prawns were huge and sweet.

Popiah

For dessert, I had a small scoop of black sesame ice cream with a wafer. That was good. I didn't try the local desserts like cheng tng, pulot hitam, pineapple tarts, kueh lapis, cookies, or nee (yam paste), goreng pisang (fried bananas), etc. I like fruit juice bar with the free flow of fresh juices. The selection of fruits is not wide though - dragonfruit, guava, watermelon, papaya and melons.

I like the wood pillar and the decor of the place. It has lots of dark polished wood with glass all around.

1 comment:

celest said...

wah! the indian dishes look yummy! very rare to find indian food at a hotel buffet, the spread look good. must go try it out one of these days - but next month i'm broke (and march hasn't even arrived) :|