Friday, February 03, 2006

Deep Fried Mars Bar

Have anyone tried the deep fried mars bar? I read about it, I saw it being sold at this little stall in Level One of Far East Plaza, but I didn't try it until a few days ago. Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to take a picture.

I always wondered how it would taste like? Deep fried candy??? Almost as weird as deep fried ice cream (which I first tried in Jakarta in 1989). It is probably the same concept. Coat the mars bar in a batter, and quickly dipped it into the deep fryer for a couple of minutes or few seconds, enough for the batter to be fried, before draining off the oil and ready to be served.

Over here, the mars bar is chopped into chunks before coating in the batter and then deep-fried. Once drained, it is served with a scoop of either chocolate or vanilla ice cream.

Verdict: It is undeniably sweet, but I am not that into it. I probably will not have it again. It is probably fantastic for caramel lover or those with a very sweet tooth. The contrast of the warm battered mars bar and the cold ice cream is lovely, but I think I just do not like my sweets to be oily. You have to try it to make your own judgement.

British Chippy
#01-16C Far East Plaza
Open noon to 9.30pm daily

4 comments:

celest said...

deep fried mars? lol.. how much more sinful can any food get? :P sugar + oil + calories *tsk tsk*... no good for me. having said that, think i'd still like to try at least once, just for the sake of tasting it ;)

monochromatix said...

Hmm... I'd heard of those somewhere in Vancouver too... must find out where I can try it out :p

Sounds scary though :|

ailourus said...

heya caro...deep fried mars bar if i'm not wrong has been ripped from SYD! It started in bondi beach! and has been the iconic treat for bondi beach goers. Tsk tsk...typical of Sgp huh...ripping everything off from everywhere!

carolyn said...

Sharon: I did a search on google and it actually originated from Scotland - land of the haggis. The owner of the shop in Sg had it in UK and decided to bring it in. So the aussies ripped it off from somewhere else first! Hahahaha.

Sam: you gotta try it! But you may not like it :p