Monday, February 27, 2006

Joaquim Restaurant - Suntec City


Porridge buffet at Suntec City Convention Center

*Disclaimer* - The 3 of us didn't finish any of the dishes that we took nor did we have 2nd helping of the porridge/congee.

Decided to try the porridge buffet at Suntec City as it always seemed to be busy, and busy is good as it means the food is not too bad. Plus, it is cheap at only $12.80 nett for the weekend buffet (weekday lunch is $9.90) though beverage is not included at all.

This is the 2nd time I have been to a porridge buffet and it certainly has a wider spread than the one I went to somewhere in Killiney Road. There was a row of food stations, with the different type of dishes available. Cantonese, Hokkien, Teochew, Hainanese - I didn't even know there are so many variations of congee. There is even a meat station for the roasted duck and chicken and steamed fish. There is also a dessert station too (but I was a good girl, I didn't have any sweets at all yesterday :p)

I took the Cantonese styled congee where the rice is cooked over a long period of time to get the gooey texture. I love this version rather than the others where the rice grains are not as soft or mashed up. I added a bit of century egg bits to it, plus the spring onions, fried shallots and pepper. Very good. For the dishes, I mostly had tau pok, tau kwa, seafood tofu (I like beancurd/tofu), the preserved veggies, ikan bilis (anchovies), peanuts, some vegs and 1 piece of the chicken.

The quality of the food is average, but the spread is huge. Not too bad a place to go to when you want something light for a buffet.


5 comments:

^cherie said...

What a coincidence! I was there yday wanting to try the porridge buffet but as we were abt to enter, hb changed his mind bcoz of my helper :P

Btw, i cant view any of your pics leh

celest said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
celest said...

i love the porridge/ congee buffet (ps: i'm a typical teochew :P) i find the spread/ variety very satisfying for the price - whenever i go with friends, can't resist the 2nd - 3rd helping??!! just lesser portion each serving.... i usually go for sweet potato congee, followed by cantonese porridge with lotsa century egg, spring onion, fried shallots.. yumm yumm yumm! carolyn, sherie, let's go together one of these days :D

^cherie said...

YES! Count me in girls! Hb's a teochew too Celest. Lol. We have porridge at least once a fortnight ;)

carolyn said...

I'm half teochew, counted? :p Le's go one of these days. Sherie & celest, when are you free?