Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Asian Spa, Fullerton Hotel (January 2004)

SPA REVIEW

Asian Spa, located at Fullerton Hotel in Singapore, belongs to the Aspara Group. This is the 3rd Aspara Group spa which I tried. The other two were Aspara at Goodwood Park Hotel and Amara Hotel.

I finally had the opportunity to try Asian Spa when I was searching for spas which catered to couples in January 2004. I like the spacious treatment room for couple. Asian Spa has a mix of the Asian ethnic decorations combined with the sleek modern look of Fullerton Hotel.

The staff is polite and very helpful. The ladies changing room is quite the norm. It is a brightly lit room with lockers, steambath, shower cubicles and commodes. Lots of metal and glass and a very clean look, which is great as I dislike changing room with dim lightings. You can't see your reflection or things clearly.

In the locker, it is filled with the customary spa slippers, paper panty, bathrobe, towel and hangers. Very important, as some places do not check if hangers have been removed from the lockers. After changing into the bathrobe, paper panty and slippers, I went out to the small waiting lounge.
At the lounge, there were a few comfortable sofas and chairs and 2 tables. Nothing fantastic, just a place to wait for the therapists and your partner. It's also the place where they will serve tea to you after your treatment.

I have selected the package "Me & My Valentine" from the various couple's spa package available. It is supposed to last 2hrs 25mins with 5 treatments for S$400.

The 5 treatments are: Body Glow (body scrub with sea salt), Minty Foot Massage, Aroma Body Massage, Replenishing Hand Treatment (hand paraffin wax) and Dream Bath of Flower Petals.


The treatment room is dimly lit for conducive relaxtion. It is roomy with 2 massage beds, covered in Asian-inspired sheets and towels. At one end of the room, nearer to the door is a small round jacuzzi. There is a sliding door separating the treatment area and the bathroom. There are 2 small cubicles in the bathroom. One is the toilet, the other is the shower. There is also a long countertop for the sink and shelves where extra shorts and towels are kept.

We had two therapists, one for each of us. We were asked to remove the bathrobes and lie face down on the massage beds. They started with the body scrub. Our bodies were given a thorough scrubbing all the way to the neck. I felt the sea salt is a bit too rough to be used on the neck and body, so I didn't really like it.

After the scrub, we were asked to take a shower. In the meantime, the therapists prepared the flower bath. After the shower we were invited to take our flower bath in the tiny jacuzzi. I had my reservations about fitting 2 persons into such a tiny space. The jacuzzi was filled with orchids and was bubbling away. My worries were unfounded, and we could sit in it quite comfortably. The only gripe is that you can't stretch out your legs. It is a deep round tub. We were served tea, which were placed on a tray next to the tub. The jets were strong, creating many bubbles that I can't find the holes where it came from. My partner told me they were right at the bottom as he could feel them.

After a 20mins soak, the therapists came back into the room and asked us to change into dry paper panty for me and shorts for him. My legs were like jelly while getting out of the jacuzzi and walking into the bath area. I was amazed, never had I felt so relaxed from a jacuzzi before. My conclusion is that the tub, while small, is filled with many powerful strong jets which really works your body. Very unlike the bigger jacuzzi which contained a few big jets and seldoms hit the right spots on the body.
We got back onto the massage bed. We were asked to dip our hands into the hot paraffin wax. They were then wrapped in plastic bags. Lying on our backs, the therapists started working on our tired feet using minty oils.

After which we were asked to lie face down again for the body massage. By then it was time to remove the hand paraffin wax. We were left with baby soft and smooth as silk hands. The body massage was good as the therapist was firm and not too hard. I was floating in and out of dreamland while my body was being kneaded to sublime bliss.

It was with great reluctance that I got up when the treatment ended. We were wrapped back in our bathrobes, and we shuffled back to the changing room.

After changing, I went back to the small waiting lounge. Tea was served over there. This time, it was greatly appreciated to just sit and lean back against the sofa. At the reception, the staff told me that they had tried to shorten the treatment time by doing both the foot massage and hand paraffin together since I had told her that we had a plane to catch when I made the appointment. It is certainly very thoughtful of her to make the efforts so that we won't miss the flight. It is indeed a wonderful experience at Asian Spa. I will definitely go back there again.

Contact:
The Asian Spa at The Fullerton Hotel
Address: 1 Fullerton Square, Singapore 049178
Phone: +65.68778183

No comments: