Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Don Chicken Pie

Chicken pie. I have never been a big fan of it until I tried Don's chicken pie. The full name of the company is actually Don - Your Personal Pie Club (a bit of a mouthful if you asked me). The usual chicken pies sold in Singapore are miserably small, with more pastry and potatoes than real meat and not very tasty. Exception is maybe Prima Deli Chicken Pie, but that is probably because of the sweet crust.

http://www.donpieclub.com.sg/

I was at China Square/Far East Square area today (I love the area - likely for the chicken pie, hock lam beef kway teow and teh tarik...hahaha) and decided to pop into Don's for a pie or a quarter pie. Now what is inside Don's chicken pie which made it so much better than others? Don's pie is huge, similar to the regular pie plate size. The crust is flaky and thin, the filling is full of real chicken chunks, carrots, potatoes, peas, corns, mushrooms, celery, egg, peppercorn and spices. Yes, peppercorn though it is quite miniscule it can barely be seen. But you can taste the slight peppery heat of the spices, maybe that is another reason why I like it.


The price is also reasonable at $3.80 for a quarter size, think it is likely $15 or so for a whole pie. Besides pie, they also sell cakes like kueh lapis (multi-layered cake), cheesecake, chocolate cake, etc. I have never tried that though today I bought the prune lapis for my mom. According to the SA, it is different from the Indonesian style as it s without cinnamon and other spices. I felt it was alright; moist and sweet though the layers came off easily. Very different from my aunt's version. I rarely eat lapis (maybe once a year?) and the only one which I ate more often is my aunt's. Her mom actually makes them and sells too, that is in Indonesia of course. Their version has more layers, and each layer is very thin, so everything is more compact.

The prune lapis is $12 while the regular lapis is $10. With Chinese New Year round the corner, they are also selling pineapple tarts, prawn rolls and other goodies.


Location:
20 Cross Street, #01-34/35/36, China Square Central, Singapore 048422
25 China Street, #01-01, Far East Square, Singapore 048422
Tel: 63274344

Mondays to Fridays - 8am to 9pm; Saturdays, Sundays, and Public Holidays - 8am to 5pm.

4 comments:

monochromatix said...

Oh, man... if I ever go to S'pore I'll have to try to contact u ;) There's so much yummy stuff... mmm. :D

^cherie said...

Looks yummy totally! *drool* Let's go there one day shall we? ;)

carolyn said...

MNX: Sure, that will be cool. Lots of food around here. Fun time exploring. Hehe.

Sherie: Yeah, let's go there one day for a afternoon snack. :)

celest said...

no wonder people say "a pic. speaks a thousand words"..... ooh looks yummy! that don chicken pie is making me hungry (at 12:55am!!) ok... must pop by china square area one of these days. or we can go together with sherie and the girls!!! yay!