Friday, April 06, 2007

51 Wanton Egg Noodles @ Kovan

I have mentioned this special noodles many times to my friends. I just simply adore it though I rarely had the chance to eat it. The stall at the hawker center (top level where macdonalds is) near Heartland Mall (Kovan MRT) is immensely popular.

My mom used to buy the shredded chicken mushrooms noodles for me when I was younger, still in school (I think). That was my first introduction to this dish. And I fell in love with it. It was extremely spicy, yet the sauce for the noodle is a bit on the sweet side. Sweet and spicy = delicious! Despite loving the dish, I never know which stall it is from until a few years back when I chanced upon it. All I know was that it is at the interchange, but every time I was at the interchange, I don't see it at all. I am not sure if the signboard then was in Mandarin. The current signboard is pretty spiffy, with pictures for all dishes and in both English and Mandarin.


So when I found the stall, I was tempted to try the special noodles - egg noodles (which has the QQ bite) with shredded chicken, char siew, wantons, veggies, mushrooms and shrimps. It has everything! I tried that and I love it. Now I always buy that dish instead of the humble wanton mee or shredded chicken mushroom noodles.


The wantons are tiny but the skin is extremely soft and the filling of minced pork and bits of shrimps is tasty. I ordered the wanton soup too and the broth is flavorful though I suspect MSG is added. It is a generous portion with about 10-12 wantons in there? I stopped counting after my 6th wantons :p And the soup is only $2.50. Good enough to be a meal on its own.

Oh and the stall is so popular there is always a queue and it will close after lunch time everyday. Maybe that was why I never see it previously cos it was always after 2pm when I get to the interchange then.

Location:
#01-51 - Hawker Center nearer the old Hougang South interchange
Macdonald's stretch
Close on Wednesday and Thursday

No comments: