Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Phuket - Day 5

Guess what? The hotel staff didn't collect the DVD player so I could watch DVD on my last day. Mentally planning the activities, I decided to just take it slow. With a late check-out of 2pm (the latest they allowed) and having to be back in hotel for a shower and airport pick up at 4pm, I essentially had only 2 hours to kill, not 3 as I initially thought.

Woke up later than usual and had a late breakfast, though it was probably not considered that late at 830am. Someone was at my favorite table, so I took a table in the secluded air-conditioned room. It was dim as there was no light at all. A guy wearing a fisherman hat walked past and stopped and stared - for a moment, I thought it was MS. But nah, don't think so at all.

After breakfast, I decided to laze by the pool for a short while as it was pretty empty. Read, floated, swam and tanned. Time almost stood still? It felt like I was there for some time when it was only an hour when I went back to the room.

Had a bath while watching The Devil Wears Prada. Anne Hathaway with red lipstick is so gorgeous! I want red lipstick too! It is very common in most hotels to have partition between the bath and bedroom to open up so you can watch the TV or have the TV hooked above the bath.

So that was what I did, watched DVD and chatted online after that while waiting for my bikini to dry, and packing at the same time. Multi-tasking. After check-out, I walked down Beach Road, still searching for nice Thai restaurant. I found one in a side road. Outside the restaurant said food was cooked by authentic Thai chef. It looked not too bad, not flashy. I prefer non-flashy restaurants when it comes to Thai food in tourist town.

I ordered the tom yum goong, chicken in basil leaves with rice and iced milk tea. The place is still obviously catered to the tourists based on the price. 120THB for the tom yum goong, the other place was around 70-80THB. But I seriously didn't mind one bit when the one sip of the soup was seriously good! I finally found a restaurant which served decent tom yum soup. It was a bit red and lemaky though. Not the clear spicy sour soup of the 1st restaurant I went to.

The prawns were huge and fresh, so yeah for 120THB, it is alright. The chicken with basil leaves could be better. I think I still prefer the one in BBK. The thai iced milk tea was good too. My most expensive meal in Phuket - 250THB total. At the other restaurant or places, it usually came to 150-200THB, or even just 100THB at the open air hawker center thing.

After that I went to the massage place across the road (Wanida). It was so eye-popping with the bright hot pink cushion covers on the wicker lounge chairs. My last foot massage in Thailand. The service was good, the therapist offered me an icy cold towel and water to freshen up, and with the heat, icy cold was greatly appreciated. There was a black dog on the premise, just dozing on the chair. He looked like a cockapoo - cross between cocker spaniel and poodle. Similar to Connie's dog, Prince. Very cute.

Had a quick shower in the toilet of all places, I would have expected a hospitality room like in Katathani. The restroom was not often used and in a quiet area so I had the whole place to myself. The staff was good, and handed me a L'occitane shampoo and conditioner in lavender for me to use. I like it! Going to look for L'occitane stuff soon. Lol. Laze by the daybed at the poolside bar after that to chill and had a coke for 100THB (hotel price). Also got bitten by mozzies in the process.

Soon it was time to leave. Got to the airport at 610pm. The airport bus came for me at 5pm. The driver stopped twice, not sure what for since no one got onto the bus. There was only 1 other guy in the bus. He is from Sweden and on his way back. He lives in Phuket for 7 months annually, and has been doing that for about 5-6 years now.

At the airport, I was good. Didn't buy more donuts. Lol. I also didn't buy the Lay's chips in seaweed. I think I was all chipped and donutted out. Arrived in Singapore around 1110pm and home at 1150pm.

I found that I have more foot massage on this trip more than Thai massage. Maybe it was because I did not found anyone who did a great job. I also realized I didn't spend as much during this trip compared to previously. I didn't spend a lot, but my hotel took up a huge chunk of the budget. I only spent on food and massages, no major expenses of traveling out and exploring.

Airfare: $127
Hotel: $504
Spending money: $250 (with leftovers)
Taxi: $30
Total cost of Holiday: $911

5 days of bliss: Priceless

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... that's cheap! $911 for a 5 days trip. But.... did you get that much from NSS ? snowball lol

carolyn said...

Of course I get less than that from NSS. Not like you, getting more than me :p