Thursday, April 19, 2007

Phuket: Day 1

Didn't do much on the first day. Got up super early at 5am, so that I can leave home at 530am to get to the airport around 6am. The taxi driver was slow, and there weren't much traffic on the road. It was surprisingly to see so many people in the airport at 6am, I guess it is usual and not so abnormal after all.

Not sure what Games are coming up, but I cleared immigration with a group of Team Singapore athletes. Don't recognize any of them at all, except for the jacket identifying them.

Besides checking out DFS, also went to the bookstore to get some magazines and the morning papers. Had kaya toast and iced coffee for breakfast, albeit hurriedly gulped down since it was close to the gate being closed. I am bad, I am usually one of the last few to board the plane, and many a times, my name was announced over the PA system for boarding.

So yeah, I am here alone, doing my own things, in Phuket. A time for reflection, to just chill by myself instead of surrounding myself with activities that I don't have time to think at all. And I know I always do that, which is why I am always busy and out and about. So this is an opportunity to slow down and take a breather.

Got to the hotel at 930am local time and luckily there was a room available so I could do an early check-in. I was even asked to go have my buffet breakfast though technically it was not included. That was a nice gesture on their part.

Stayed at my usual hotel, except the renovation is complete. It is much bigger now and more confusing. The new wing (where I am staying in) has so many walkways it is like a labyrinth. So what did I do today?

Breakfast (again), went back to room to unpack, relax and got online. Made an appointment for a lomi lomi massage at the spa in the afternoon. Ran a bath. Had the massage, it was so good I almost fell asleep. Instead I came back to room and had a nap. Went to the pool to tan, but it was crowded :( So no pool for me. Will do that tomorrow. Back to the room again. Went to the reception to rent the DVD player (comes with 3 DVDs to watch) for 3 days. Got online again, then went out to the beach. It is definitely more crowded now than the last 3 times I was in Phuket. Nice to be out there walking on the sand, smelling the seawater, watching people parasailing and sunbathing.

Walked along beach road and then popped into a small street and hunt for Thai food. Decided to try this place Lek's Thai food or something. Ordered the tom yum goong and chicken basil with rice. Service was good, the tom yum was excellent! Prawns were not that fresh though. I still think the best chicken basil dish I had was in the street hawker in Bangkok. Bangkok has more roadside stalls than Phuket. They also served a complimentary dessert of watermelon and banana.

After the early dinner/late lunch, I walked all the way to Baskins Robbins for my Jamoca Almond Fudge fix. I can only have it in Thailand or elsewhere since Baskins Robbins is not available in Singapore. Walked back, checked out Boots, bought sachets of mask and scrub. Tried them back in the hotel, not that fantastic. Watched the 1st DVD - Cheaper by the Dozen. Quite funny. And now typing this entry and going to bed after this.

The other 2 DVDs are Amelie and something not that great. The selection was pitiful, think most have been taken out. Oh well.

So yeah, a relaxing first day of not really doing anything.

No comments: