Saturday, April 21, 2007

Phuket - day 3

I finally got to sleep in today and went for breakfast at 930am. Good to note that after yesterday's feast, I didn't have much today. Just about the usual of fruits, yoghurt, omelette and sausage/bacon.

Initially wanted to go to Paradise Beach which was mentioned in the hotel's website as its own private beach. Sad to say, that was a false information on the website. The reception said it is not owned by the hotel, and I would need to make my own way there. Getting there is no problem, but not sure how I would get back, so I didn't bother about it.

Tried out the new swimming pool instead in the new wing. It is quite nice, to meander around the sunbathing area in the center. It is like a T-shaped, with the loungers in the center of one strip. On the top end, there is the pool bar and on the other side is a stone lounger area. I discovered that is also a jacuzzi thing with jets bubbling when you pressed a button. Neat!

Again, the sun was very strong, so I left at 2ish pm. Just rested in the room and then went out to have a late lunch/early dinner. I finally went to Subway to get a steak and cheese sub on honey oat bread. It was very nicely toasted with more varieties of veggies. However the steak could be more tender. The cookie was not as good as in Singapore. It was less chewy and soft. Just different.

Had a foot massage at this place, near Subway, next to a photo shop. The place was really nice, with glass windows all around. Thai silk draped from the ceiling to afford privacy (if needed) and for decoration purposes. I liked the attention to detail. The therapist washed the feet in a wooden tub basin, complete with natural grains and powder to scrub. And tea was served complete with a cool towel to freshen up. You got to relax in the laz-y boy style arm chair and the therapist used alcohol to clean the feet again. The only minus point about the place was the strong scent of camphor. It was a good massage, well worth the 300THB.

Dropped by Starbucks for an iced caramel machiato as it started to drizzle. Spent about an hour there just watching the people and beach activities and also reading my book. Walked back to the hotel and managed to get some dvds. It was weird, I stopped by 2 places and both wanted me to go to a room in an alley. No way, Jose. I followed one and he led me to a small doorway, next to the tailor shop and I could see through the open door the rows of dvds. But errr....no way would I enter. Bad enough it was not on the main road. I insisted on buying from the stall. Anyway, he didn't have what I wanted. The 2nd stall I went to also wanted me to go to the room. But anyway, he managed to get what I wanted. Weird cos this was the first time I was asked by them. Usually we would tell them what we want and they would go find.

But because of this, I didn't get to have my tom yum soup. I had already passed by the other side roads with restaurants and the remaining ones (not that many) didn't look decent or appetizing. In the end, I bought a corn on cob. Seemed to be the season for corns as they are everywhere. Didn't realize the hawker rubbed copious amount of salt on it, I thought it was butter. So salty. 30THB for that. Pricey? So yeah that was my dinner. Will hunt for tom yum soup tomorrow.

Watched bits and pieces of my dvds - Music and Lyrics and Love Actually. Just coincidence that Hugh Grant was in them. Music and Lyrics quality was bad....very fuzzy. Love Actually was better, but the audio on dialogue was so soft, yet the music was loud. I think I will get the real Music and Lyrics as the last bit was cut. Amelie is showing now, but not really in the mood to watch. I have seen that several times now.

Day 3 was just a total chilling day with not much exploration. I totally dislike the heat, I get drenched after a couple of minutes of walking under the sun. And it stormed earlier. Stopped now. But there were a few loud bangs that I was not sure if that were fireworks or others.

No comments: