Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Japanese Dining Sun @ CHIJMES

I totally love the food at Japanese Dining Sun at Chijmes or Sun with Moon Japanese Dining over at Wheelock. I guess I am pretty much a food snob at times but it is definitely much better to have good food than yucky or average food.

While it is not cheap like other run of the mill Japanese eateries, it is not astronomically expensive either. Eg. Inagiku (my fave still) @ Fairmont or Shima @ Goodwood Park or Wasabi Bistro @ Mandarin Oriental. Plus, I do love the pink dragon roll, rainbow roll, beef sukiyaki and Hokkaido ramen.

I tried new things on my last visit and I am so glad I did that. Ventured out of my comfort zone a little :p
Sashimi mori for two - salmon, shrimp, scallop, sea urchin, tuna and 2 other types of fish which I have no idea what they are but they sure tasted good :p The scallop was so sweet. Unfortunately I was not that into the sea urchin and neither was N, so we didn't finish that at all. It tasted a bit like crab roe.
Pink dragon roll. I decided to get this since I had the rainbow roll just 2 weeks ago and I guessed I wanted the salmon roe :p I was so stuffed after finishing the sushi on my own. N did not like rice much.
This was a winner! I absolutely was blown away by the foie gras grilled beef dish. It was totally amazing. The foie gras was perfectly done - soft and tasted like heaven. I am so not a liver or foie gras person as the few times I tried, it was too "livery" powdery for me. But this...it slid down smoothly and was just incredible. Maybe the sauce helped too. The beef was grilled to a medium rare texture. Tender and soft pink in the center. I loved the presentation and the way I de-construct the food to eat them one by one. The eggplant was grilled to a gentle bite. The crisp above (tapioca? or sweet potato?) was nicely crunchy and the apple was sweet to the bite. Initially I thought it was pineapple :p This will be my must order dish next time. It is that good!
Beef slices for the sukiyaki. I prefer the beef sukiyaki over at the Chijmes outlet rather than at Wheelock. I like the thin big slices of beef. Nicely marbled though wagyu it is not. Good enough :) At Wheelock, the beef slices were already dumped into the pot to cook.
The fire was really strong that night. I kept getting the steam when taking the pics. It was filled to the brim with vegetables. I totally regretted ordering a bowl of rice as I was so stuffed from the sushi earlier. Previously I still needed rice even though we shared 2 rolls of sushi but I guessed the foie gras beef and sashimi did fill one's stomach :)

The only dish from the Hokkaido menu. Camembert cheesecake. Frankly I could not taste the difference from this and other cheese cake :p It was still good but as cheesecake was, it was heavy.

Location
Chijmes #02-02 (up the stairs next to Insomnia)
Tel: 6336 3166

No comments: