Monday, October 13, 2008

Takashimaya 15th Anniversary Sale - Part 1

Despite the worldwide economic meltdown and announcements from the government that Singapore is heading into a recession which is likely to last two years, people are still buying. It is hard to believe there is a financial turmoil when you see snakes of queues everywhere - cashiers, taxi stands, redemption booths, fitting rooms, restaurants, etc.

I am no economist, but while most people may think that stocks crashing globally only affect those investors, it does mean that when banks stop lending money, companies cannot get loan to expand, so businesses revenues may drop and thus freeze or reduce hiring manpower and that means everyone will ultimately be affected. This current period reminded me of the 1997 financial crisis in Asia and this is possibly even worse than 10 years ago.

People are still undecided what to do with their insurance policy if they cash it in. Dump it in fixed deposits or banks or properties or just spend them all and be happy for a while? The sales happening now do tempt one into parting with the cash. Tangs, Marks & Spencer and now Takashimaya, not to mention the various discount offered by boutiques on their Fall/Winter Collection.

The 15th Anniversary Sale at Takashimaya and its additional 15% discount on all items (sale/promo price) for participating stores/brands meant it was a very good deal. I was pretty amazed that it also applied to fragrances and cosmetics as so far only Metro has that deal during its 20% discount event though some were in the form of rebate vouchers. So Taka is even better since it is directly off it.

And being shopaholic me, I just had to go take a look. I went there on Thursday but it was just a quick browse at Kate Spade (didn't get anything - good girl me - but also because the item I was eyeing was sold out) before I had to pick up my drycleaning at Paragon and lunch. But the traffic getting into Taka Thursday lunch time was horrendous. Don't people have to work? :p

So I went back again on Friday night and picked up these items. Again, I was a good girl and resisted lots of temptations from Agnes B, Tod's, Coach, 693 Fifth Avenue by Takashimaya New York, DKNY, CK, DVF. Good thing Bottega Veneta was not participating otherwise I would have bought my ultimate bag.

Thomas Sabo charm, Agatha hair stick and Arturo Chiang shoes.
I was at Agatha counter as a gf told me items were at 15% off (exclude charm, bummer) and so it will be 15% + 15% off. The wooden hair stick which I was eyeing was sold out and after trying this plastic hair stick, I decided to get it. The SA was very patience and even taught me another way of wearing it so I spent like 10-15 minutes practising before I got it right. I was also tempted by a doggie clip but since I stopped using clip there is no point.
Then I popped over to Thomas Sabo counter. The promotion there was a free Thomas Sabo bandanna/scarf with $150 purchase. I was good too. I didn't get more charms just to get the free scarf. Hahahaha. I decided on this star-shaped Glam Girl charm. I was contemplating the red stiletto but somehow it just was not me. Again, the SA was also very patient. She took out the bracelet and charm which I already have so that I can see how it would look when this star was added to it.
Finally, my new love. Low heeled shoes from Arturo Chiang. I first noticed them last week before the sale started. They were very comfortable, plus they do have half sizes. I was initially concerned about the material since they were suede. The SA from another store assured me that if I spray protector, they would be fine.

After trying on the 3 different colors (black, dark silver and bronze), I finally decided on the bronze as it looked different. The suede was actually hotstamped to get the effect. I also tried on the high heels which was amazing. I have kinda stopped wearing high heels as my feet always hurt after a while. But this....it felt like walking on air. Somehow there was a cushiony feel to it despite its 2.5' or 3' heels. Certainly different from Aldo or Nine West or Betsey Johnson or JLo and Guess. I didn't get it in the end as I was afraid it will cause blister as I was in between sizes for the heels.

Do check out Arturo Chiang shoes. They are really good. With the 10% +15% off, it was not too bad for comfortable leather shoes :)

I also got the Breast Cancer Awareness pin with crystals but somehow I seemed to have misplace it or accidentally thrown it away :( Sigh. I guess of all the charities, I am always partial to donating to the Breast Cancer Foundation.

No comments: